Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by Terminal Proceed

The Harlem line East Bronx shuttle trains are in fact using the upper level loop. Trains load between tracks 38 - 42 and then at leaving time, depart thru the loop into track 1 and out the Park Ave. tunnel.

I know, because I conducted 3 trains yesterday each with about 1600 people or more on board and we went around the loop fully loaded.

Kevin
  by Dave Wallace

Here's a happy passenger who got to ride the loop yesterday afternoon on one of the East Bronx Shuttles.

I was pretty surprised when the train lurched backwards as we headed out of GCT track 42.

I've only seen the loop about three times in 30 or so years of riding the train. First time was about 20 years ago on an FL9 lead diesel to Brewster in PM Rush. Second time was on the ACMU railfan trip. And yesterday makes three.

The loop seems to add about 10 minutes to the trip so I can understand why it's infrequently used.

Are there any restrictions on normal use of the loop for revenue passenger trains?

by DutchRailnut

Yes normaly no occupied passengers may use the loop unless authorized by Transportation Superintendent.
The problem would be what if train stalls in the loop how do you get passengers out ??? yes you could couple up with other train .
  by Tommy Meehan

Terminal Proceed wrote:I conducted 3 trains yesterday each with about 1600 people or more on board and we went around the loop fully loaded.
Wow-whee! How many cars were those trains??

tommy

by Terminal Proceed

They were 8 car trains.

by Tommy Meehan

Can all the Bronx platforms take an 8-car train? How about Melrose?

With those kinds of crush loads were you collecting tickets before boarding?

How about running times?

tommy

by Stephen B. Carey

Does using the loop help traffic times or does it turn the locomotives because they can't be turned in the Bronx?

by checkthedoorlight

Right now Melrose and Tremont are one DOOR platforms.

by Tommy Meehan

Stephen, regarding turning shuttle equipment. Those shuttles were undoubtedly MU trains. They ran to Mt Vernon West I think, where there are four main tracks and crossover switches north of the station area.

tommy

by Stephen B. Carey

Tommy Meehan wrote:Stephen, regarding turning shuttle equipment. Those shuttles were undoubtedly MU trains. They ran to Mt Vernon West
So why would you need to flip them at GCT why not just run straight out of the station?

by DutchRailnut

They saved switching ends since same crew had to run the shuttle.
changing ends takes time requires a brake test etc.

by andy

Is the reason why MNR needed 24 hours was because they had to get new crew assignments out? Or were these prepared in advance and everyone knew already.

MNR was probably the most organized. By the second day (I think), they already had a timetable up on their website, including strike specials.

I know on the LIRR, some tickets were not collected, so I am curious if MNR collected tickets before entering the platform as well.
  by Dave Wallace

For those who asked what kind of eqpt was used on the shuttle runs, my afternoon trains consisted of M1s at least twice and M7s one time. The morning shuttles were M3s. So everything was of course electric MU and my guess is that some soon to be retired M1s were put to good use.