Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by Otto Vondrak

Sarge wrote:Out of curiosity only, would there be room for ROW and a trail, similar to Beacon:Hopewell?
No.

1) Trails are dumb.

2) The Harlem is a single track ROW, the Maybrook/Beacon Line is a former double-track route.

-otto-
  by McGinty26

Rail trails aren't dumb. The Harlem Valley Rail Trail seems to be used quite heavily, especially on weekends. Right now the x-country skiers are going about their business with the occasional snowmobiler (not legal) moving about. I've biked it and walked it numerous times, so I'll take whats there rather than the ROW being totally obliterated. Lets face it, even if there was any kind of demand for commuters north of the present terminus, buses would be a more viable option.
  by Noel Weaver

This is a strange situation, Millerton folks waged a big fight when the railroad was trying to end service, they really wanted
it back then even if it was only one train a day over a line that was pretty slow in places andin equipment that was fair at best.
Fast forward to 2009, track in good condition, signaled and OK for decent speeds, new or good equipment and several trains
a day and all of a sudden they don't want it.
Rail trails are not a good substitute for a good working passenger railroad.
I could say more on this and I might later on but this is enough for now.
Noel Weaver
  by AEGUY63

Although i wasn't aware Millerton put up this huge "fight". At least it would bring some much needed "boom" to the area, more people would be visiting millerton, amenia. Bus service is no way more viable than trains. But if they were even going to consider going up that far, theyd almost have to double track, which is a whole nother' can of worms.
  by DutchRailnut

Ask folks in Dover Plains and now Wassaic what a boom the railroad is :P :P :P :P :P
  by Otto Vondrak

McGinty26 wrote:Rail trails aren't dumb...
Well, okay, I was being tongue in cheek there. How about "Trails are dumb when they are placed next to active rail lines with welded rail, cab signal, and 79 mph speed limits?" And I dont mean the idea of all trails are dumb, just part of my pent-up feelings against these Rails to Trails people who have campaigned successfully to remove so much infrastructure...

-otto-
  by pnaw10

Otto Vondrak wrote:("Welcome to Dutchess County. Please set your clocks 20 years back.") and created such a false-uproar that Metro-North went into retreat. Similar to the Rhinecliff proposal. It also doesnt help that many of the original stations suffer from Old Put Syndrome: either located in the middle of a village with no provision for expanded parking or located out in a farmers field away from population centers.
Correction: Welcome to Eastern Dutchess County... and more like 40 years back. :P On the western side of the county, you have the very populated Fishkill-Poughkeepsie corridor along the 4- (or more) lane divided U.S. route 9... and even 20 years ago, they had the Poughkeepsie Galleria up and running. It's no Westchester, but it's a lot busier than the eastern side of the county. (Well, yes, I suppose the same generalization can also be applied to anything north of Poughkeepsie.)

You're right on the mark with the Old Put syndrome though. You have stations like DP, Paterson and Pawling smack-dab in the village square, or places like Wassaic or Tenmile River that don't seem to be immediately near anything.

As for trails... no, definitely not a good idea to have one right next to the other. There's a trail where I live now (about 15 miles east of Syracuse), which, for a short distance, runs pretty close to the CSX mainline. When a train comes by... well, it looks pretty cool to be that close (and legally) but it's also a little scary. You never know what kind of debris on the ground could suddenly be sent flying by a passing train. Sure, we're only talking small things like rocks or sticks, but hitting you at the right speed and in the right body parts, it can be a bad situation. Not to mention, if a train derails (like one did, exactly one year ago tomorrow), you don't want to be rollerblading, biking or (worst of all) cross-country skiing that close to the tracks.

As an avid bicyclist, I'm all for trails... and rail trails are nice where it would otherwise mean an historic ROW would otherwise be claimed by weeds. But a rail trail right next to an active, high-speed line is a dangerous situation. All kidding aside, Otto may not be far off with his 2025 prediction ;-)
  by brettj22

I know normally the last train of the night terminates at Dover Plains due to an agreement when MNCR expanded north. How are they operating service all night up to Wassaic on New Years Eve?
  by MBTA3247

This is a bit off-topic, but does the last train on normal days deadhead from Dover Plains back to Southeast (or south of there)? It seems rather silly to deadhead from DP to Wassaic.
  by RearOfSignal

Back to Southeast.
  by brettj22

I know there are trains running all night New Years eve, but I remember there being some regulation that prohibited the last train of the night from operating north of Dover Plains. Is it waived for safety reasons New Years Eve?
  by checkthedoorlight

That last train of the night usually doesn't even make it past Pawling before it empties out and returns to Brewster. I'm surprised to see that they're running both inbound and outbound service to Wassaic, especially since the CT branches aren't getting it.
  by M&Eman

checkthedoorlight wrote:That last train of the night usually doesn't even make it past Pawling before it empties out and returns to Brewster. I'm surprised to see that they're running both inbound and outbound service to Wassaic, especially since the CT branches aren't getting it.
The CT branches probably aren't getting it because CT isn't paying for it. Wassaic service is solely an MTA decision.
  by truck6018

checkthedoorlight wrote: I'm surprised to see that they're running both inbound and outbound service to Wassaic, especially since the CT branches aren't getting it.
What goes up, must come back. At quick glance of the time table it appears the 12:06 arrival at Wassaic will turn for the 12:30 departure. The 3:20 arrival will turn for the 3:35 departure.

Even if they get one person coming back south that is more then they would make if it were dead heading back.