Railroad Forums 

• Update on Cellphone rules

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

#856732  by SurlyKnuckle

Ugh, so misguided. It's pathetic that there has to be such a blanket rule because they cannot distinguish between dangerous electronic device usage and non dangerous electronic device usage.
 #856855  by BNSF-Conductor

SurlyKnuckle wrote:Ugh, so misguided. It's pathetic that there has to be such a blanket rule because they cannot distinguish between dangerous electronic device usage and non dangerous electronic device usage.

So very true, I think someone making a call home while sitting at a red or checking the weather on their cell phone is perfectly acceptable, But there is a time and place.. I think they are just turning us all into robots...slowly but surely ... apparently thanks to the new laws placed into effect because of some moron locomotive engineer we must all suffer the consequences.
 #859566  by justalurker66

BNSF-Conductor wrote:So very true, I think someone making a call home while sitting at a red or checking the weather on their cell phone is perfectly acceptable, But there is a time and place.. I think they are just turning us all into robots...slowly but surely ... apparently thanks to the new laws placed into effect because of some moron locomotive engineer we must all suffer the consequences.
I'm probably missing something ... the rules seem to be permissive enough to allow the call when stopped as long as no crew member is on the ground or preparing the train for movement:
Sec. 220.303 General use of electronic devices.
A railroad operating employee shall not use an electronic device if that use would interfere with the employee's or another railroad operating employee's performance of safety-related duties. No individual in the cab of a controlling locomotive shall use an electronic device if that use would interfere with a railroad operating employee's performance of safety-related duties.

Sec. 220.305 Use of personal electronic devices.
A railroad operating employee must have each personal electronic device turned off with any earpiece removed from the ear--
(a) When on a moving train;
(b) When any member of the crew is--
(1) On the ground, or
(2) Riding rolling equipment during a switching operation; or
(c) When any railroad employee is assisting in preparation of the train for movement.
Railroad supplied devices are less restricted.

The rules of the specific railroad would also apply ... but unless the train is considered moving while stopped there seems to be a loophole.
(The actual new rules are at the bottom of the page linked from the article. Direct link.)
 #860642  by Jersey_Mike

You know a lot of jobs prohibit the use of any personal electronic device because of security concerns. People don't need to be constantly tethered to the internet.

Are there existing rules covering the use of traditional media in the cab (newspapers, books, etc) or AM/FM radios?
 #860737  by litz

Well, whatever you think ... these are the rules, so we have to abide by them ...

Remember, the FRA loves you like the IRS does ... :-)

- litz
 #861136  by justalurker66

Jersey_Mike wrote:Are there existing rules covering the use of traditional media in the cab (newspapers, books, etc) or AM/FM radios?
The GCOR (General Code of Operating Rules) version:
1.10 Games, Reading, or Electronic Devices
Unless permitted by the railroad, employees on duty, must not:
• Play games.
• Read magazines, newspapers, or other literature not related to their duties. or
• Use electronic devices not related to their duties.
I have not checked Federal Law (such as the one noted earlier in this thread). I suppose taking common railroad rules to the next level was needed due to the major incidents where people violated railroad rules.
 #874680  by CSX Conductor

Jersey_Mike wrote:Are there existing rules covering the use of traditional media in the cab (newspapers, books, etc) or AM/FM radios?
Yes, there are. Reading anything other than literature pertaining to railroad operations is prohibitted on many railroads.