Railroad Forums 

• UP looking to eliminate train dispatchers

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

Re:

#867588  by lowpost50

MNRR_RTC wrote:
MuffMasterson wrote:I understand 100% that dispatchers are busy, and their territory has gotten bigger with more trains, less people, etc. What amazes me is how people think they have it so rough. They go to work, know that it'll be a hell of a day, even if it's busy, they know they will go home in exactly 8 hours. I'd take that in a minute. With 2 days off a week.
It ain't easy getting your brains beaten in for 8 hours. I do what I do because I love it. If not, I would of taken the locomotive engineers job last year. When you are dealing with several trains, track foremen, signal maintainers, your bosses asking all sorts of questions and the phone ringing off the hook all day, it does take alot out of you. Believe me when I tell you that the grass isn't always greener on the otherside.
I agree with you 100%, engineers crying because they see an approach signal, track foreman want all the railroad, they forget we have trains to run. and they want to get into each others territory, your like a referee. phones ringing, bosses asking you questions you have to stop and answer. and you have to eat your lunch while doing all this...good luck. your lucky some days if you can get outta the chair to go to the bathroom...and there's the paperwork....eliminate train dispatchers...I think not.
like MNRR I love my job. but after 8hrs your brain is mush