Railroad Forums 

• UP cookbook?

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

#347009  by pennsy

Hi All,

Just heard of a fella that heated up his lunch on the engine block of his car. Sounds logical enough so that you could do that with the engine block of your diesel locomotive.

#347362  by UPRR engineer

lutherkb wrote:Wait wait wait...

Cooking on a locomotive?

More details please.
I wouldnt really call it cooking, more like "heating up". You can get liquids to boil, but only if its not allowed to vent the steam, the pressure cooker soup can effect. In general anything thats been pre cooked (chicken wings, hotdogs...) can be heated up to a temperature thats safe for you to eat.

On most of the new engines there Alan its hard to find a spot that gets hot enough to heat something up within an hour or two on the block/heads/manifold that frozen and wrapped in foil. I've saw guys put some dogs back there on an SD 90 (no sidewall heaters) for four hours, they said "I would call them hot, but maybe good enough."

#348550  by Hawko

There is a cookbook called "Manifold Destiny: The one the only guide to cooking on your car." The authors are Chris Maynard & Bill Scheller. This book should still be available on Amazon. It has 40 recipes such as Cutlas Cod Supreme, Cajun Style Shrimp & NAFTA Nachos. These recipes should work on a locomotive's manifold or the sidewall heater.

#526632  by slchub

Thanks UPLee!

Your heating locations are great and easy to get to on a P42DC motor!

Bon Appetit RR style!

#529057  by uhaul

Yes, thanks for the link UPLee.

#532593  by NV290

I was goin to post that link for the cookbook but UPLee spotted it as well!

Check out www.locoverter.com as well. They sell stoves and crockpots as well for locomotives.

#533897  by conrail_engineer

Don't really have any recipes - a hard-boiled egg or something out of a can does me okay - but some cautions:

Heating appliances do work all right on the outlet by the control stand...but if they have automatic cycling controls to hold temperature, be careful - you may fry them. That holds true of a Crock-Pot and some other items.

I know of guys who used to pack a coffeemaker...but they were careful to unplug it as soon as the water tank went dry since the automatic shutoff wouldn't work.

If I really have a yen for hot coffee, and my thermos has cooled off...I have one of those in-cup heating elements, works just dandy. It's a pain in the drain, though, if you're on rough track.

And, sandwiches - being diabetic, I watch the bread. But there is NO WAY you can wrap bread and put it in a cooler and not have it get soggy. Cold air can hold less water vapor; so as the bread and air around it cools, it's going to get mushy.
 #623364  by Engineer Spike

I cooked corn on the cob in the engine compartment before. It came out tender. Another meal that I cooked was my Guatemalan breakfast. I had eggs, beans, chorizo, and plantains. I am lucky because I work for a Canadian company. We have hot plates in our units. Some guys carry a small frying pan or sauce pan. I usually just use pie tins. This way they can be thrown out, plus they are light. Some guys get creative. I sometimes work with an Italian conductor. He makes some good meals. One other conductor was a professional chef. He is good for a nice meal too.
 #628350  by UpJR

Whenever I make my sandwhiches I always wrap them n two papertowels
 #1214592  by wolfman

i am a retired driver in the uk,and the best cooked meal had to be when i was a fireman.used to wash the shovel down,heat up some fat,bang in bacon and eggs,balance shovel in the firebox and gently cook.was a meal fit for a king.once did steak on the shovel and that wasnt bad.needless to say this was all done whilst stood in the yard or held in a siding.ah happy days.
 #1215122  by Sir Ray

wolfman wrote:i am a retired driver in the uk,and the best cooked meal had to be when i was a fireman.used to wash the shovel down,heat up some fat,bang in bacon and eggs,balance shovel in the firebox and gently cook.was a meal fit for a king.once did steak on the shovel and that wasnt bad.needless to say this was all done whilst stood in the yard or held in a siding.ah happy days.
So not quite the same as the Top Gear Season 13 episode (Race to the North - Train vs Car vs Motorbike), where Jeremy Clarkson attempted to cook some bacon on the shovel while the Peppercorn was moving at speed (it got sucked into the firebox), and then somehow managed to cook some eggs (apparently on the shovel also, not sure), made a sandwich with the eggs and bread, tried it, grimmaced for the camera, and threw the egg-sandwich overboard...

Oddly, a few days ago I stumbled upon an old thread of mine, discussing how one went to the toilet on a steam locomotive while underway. Some people mentioned going on the shovel and dumping the results - wait, I already mentioned Clarkson & Top Gear - dumping the poo into the firebox...and now Wolfman mentions cooking on the shovel... (Insert rr.net unsupported "EEK" smilie here)
 #1215124  by David Benton

Cooking eggs on the shovel seems to be a well known practice, I've never heard of pooing on it.Maybe a bucket would be a better bet.
A related question, do they have a spare shovel?. Seems they would be buggered if they lost the shovel overboard!
 #1215268  by Sir Ray

David Benton wrote:Cooking eggs on the shovel seems to be a well known practice, I've never heard of pooing on it.Maybe a bucket would be a better bet.
Dave, you even posted in that thread (which admittedly is near 5 years ago, but still)