Railroad Forums 

• UP and BNSF salary and hotel during initial training?

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#24321  by 90MPH

Got my fingers crossed for an interview invite. Does the UP or the BNSF pay for your single hotel room during training? What is the pay during training?

Also, I've heard through the grapevine that the UP is still using the 80% graduating pay scale for new train service employees, is there any truth to this? I thought that the union did away with that screwed up pay scale.

Does anyone know if the BNSF is using the graduating pay scale or do they start out at 100% pay for 100% work performed.

Thanks.
 #26169  by slchub

90MPH, good luck on being called out for an open session with the UPRR.

As for initial training pay and hotel. For the first three weeks, you will receive minimum wage, so prepare for that. After the three weeks are up, you will be paid about $133.00 per trip or job. If your in the Portland area, it would be a dollar higher.

As for the hotel. UP will pay for the hotel if you are 30 or more miles from the training facitilty from your home terminal. You also would get per diem, about $500.00.

Once again, good luck!

#26522  by 90MPH

Thanks, I got shot down, I applied for a position in San Luis Obispo, CA and got a thanks but no thanks reply. I'm in Michigan and would like to get back to California, last year I applied for a position in Dunsmuir and got invited to an interview but the interview was three days from the day I was invited, there was no way I could make it out there, so I declined it, I hope that's not the reason they turned me down this time. I just applied again for a position in Chicago, at least if they give me three days to get to Chitown I can do that, I would really like to get back to the west coast though.

#27248  by slchub

Good Luck in Chicago then!

Got some good news about the New Employee Train Service pay. They have upped the pay from minimum wage. Not sure what the training rate is, but anything is better than minimum wage. You'll have to let your instructor know the very first day that you need a hotel room if you are away from home. And then they will overnight a per diem check to the hotel as well.

Keep at it. Good luck again.

#29448  by SteelWheels21

I just interviewed for BNSF Conductor Trainee position in Wishram, WA. The HR woman told us that training is 730/week for the duration of the class. The Yardmaster said that conductors in Vancouver, WA make around 155/day in the yard, higher on the road.