Railroad Forums 

• 'UNSTOPPABLE" movie out on Nov. 12

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

#876081  by ohioriverrailway

RussNelson wrote:Could somebody who's going to watch it (again) please look at the switch that the train was going to run through at the beginning? It *sure* looked to me like the switch was aligned correctly. Maybe it was just an artifact of cutting from one scene to another, and I thought the train was on a different track.
You're right on the money -- that was a good switch -- and just the start of tons of errors that the average guy in the street (and hopefully in the seats) will never notice. My wife and I saw it about two weeks after it was out and we had the theater to ourselves.
Google CSXT 8888 for the links to various stories regarding the original incident.
 #900899  by SlackControl

RDG467 wrote:1) When Denzel goes into the hole at the 'RIP' track (in the middle of nowhere...) and the last car of his overlong train gets hit by the runaway. I thought that boxcar exploded like it was made from plywood. Oh, maybe it was...... That would've been game over, obviously, and would have derailed most of the cars on both trains in real life.
The other thing about this scene is, when the runaway smashes through the box car on the train going into the siding, that would have broken the brake pipe, and Denzel's train would have dumped for sure.

Prior to that, if we are nit picking....when Denzel and his conductor serviced the spur and left with too many cars, didn't Denzel notice they had too many cars while they were still on the spur? Wouldn't the conductor have to line the switch normal for the main after they left the spur?

Then, going back even further....the incident that started off the entire movie.....the train as shown in the movie that got away from the crew in the yard had two engines, yet the engineer only tried to jump on the front of the lead engine. Why'd he give up and let the second engine pass him by without jumping on?

But still, as most of us have said already....it's a Hollywood production, not a documentary. It was fun to watch as a movie. Plus, even though it was just a movie, the footage of the trains was pretty good.
 #901010  by RussNelson

Hey, if everybody remembered to do the sensible thing all the time, the incident that inspired this movie wouldn't have happened. Yeah, there's some dumb things in the movie, but all in all, it's a good yarn and anybody who watches it will come away knowing more about how trains really work than before.
 #904999  by Tracer

Just saw it. It looked like a ghost moved the throttle.

Poor Deeeeeeeeeewey, what the heck were you thinking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 #905000  by EMTRailfan

bunny wrote:Does anyone know where the corner they had to navigate is located? Looks like it originally went straight.
Bellaire, OH, just down the Ohio River from Wheeling.
 #911387  by aquadan005

I just saw crazy 8's last week on the Trenton sub not sure what train she was pulling though.
 #912115  by fp7fan

Another train movie with good action scenes is "Runaway Train" with Jon Voight and Eric Roberts - check it out if you have not seen it. I think it was released about 1985.