Railroad Forums 

• Uniq. Eqpmt Sightings: Private Varnish (PV's), Charters, etc

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1612763  by Gilbert B Norman

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 4:41 pm The Ed Ellis former C&O, former B&O, 5BR-flat end Obs in IC livery was on end of #4(26).

When Ellis's gang realized they were never going to have the PRJ business to support a full Diner, they built a Kitchen into likely two of the Bedrooms with the remaining being crew accommodation.
After a "Eureka Moment", I recall a Sept '62 ride Richmond Cinci on the FFV which featured a daylight ride through the Gorge (as distinct from Amtrak's "on the Summer Solstice and if on time") and in spotlessly clean cars.

The Diner was a "--Club" Bedroom Obs (flat end) placed mid-train, so it is more likely than not Ellis' car was one of these four the C&O kept; therefore, Ellis was spared any extensive rebuilding as Chessie had already done it for him.

All told, having this car liveried IC was not all that far-fetched, The IC had a number of 10-6 (Bedrooms center-car) and twin unit Diners they acquired from "RRY's used car lot".
 #1613217  by jhdeasy

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 5:50 pm Observed #3(18) today.

In addition to its normal six car consist. There were two Sleepers on the rear. One in IC livery (a formerly Ed Ellis car?) and an ex-UP "Pacific--" that had been stripped and was lettered "Pullman" (Mr. Deasy's?).
No, you did not not six double bedroom lounge MOUNT VERNON. It is parked at Morristown NJ.

You saw PACIFIC HOME, owned by National Passenger Car Repair LLC (Mr. Chuck Jensen, President of Morristown & Erie Railway). Current configuration is nine roomettes and six double bedrooms.
 #1613218  by jhdeasy

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 7:24 am
Gilbert B Norman wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 4:41 pm The Ed Ellis former C&O, former B&O, 5BR-flat end Obs in IC livery was on end of #4(26).

When Ellis's gang realized they were never going to have the PRJ business to support a full Diner, they built a Kitchen into likely two of the Bedrooms with the remaining being crew accommodation.
After a "Eureka Moment", I recall a Sept '62 ride Richmond Cinci on the FFV which featured a daylight ride through the Gorge (as distinct from Amtrak's "on the Summer Solstice and if on time") and in spotlessly clean cars.

The Diner was a "--Club" Bedroom Obs (flat end) placed mid-train, so it is more likely than not Ellis' car was one of these four the C&O kept; therefore, Ellis was spared any extensive rebuilding as Chessie had already done it for him.

All told, having this car liveried IC was not all that far-fetched, The IC had a number of 10-6 (Bedrooms center-car) and twin unit Diners they acquired from "RRY's used car lot".
BLUE RIDGE CLUB owner Bill Gray has logged approximately 40,000 Amtrak miles with this former C&O/B&O car since May 2022. I'm confident it is the PV with the highest Amtrak mileage for calendar year 2022.
 #1613260  by Gilbert B Norman

For those who keep eyeballs on the "fan-cams", #3(8) has, in addition to its regular six car consist, on the rear 390XX T-Dorm, 10020 Pacific Bend, 10001 Beech Grove, and 10004 American View.
Last edited by Gilbert B Norman on Sun Jan 08, 2023 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1613367  by STrRedWolf

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 4:56 pm For those who keep eyeballs on the "fan-cams", #3(8) has, in addition to its regular six car consist, on the rear 390XX T-Dorm, 10020 Pacific Bend, 10001 Beech Grove, and 10004 American View.
It made today's Virtual Railfan summary video.
 #1613369  by STrRedWolf

TheOneKEA wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 8:57 am I just observed an ACS-64 light engine movement through Paradise on the Virtual Rainfan livestream. It headed east through Leaman Place Junction around 0856.
Whoa.... just saw that. They must of swapped it at Harrisburg. That P42 they had there must of had problems.
 #1613387  by Jeff Smith

URHS-NJ Hudson River Rail (corrected) is announcing it's Hudson River rail excursion schedule today; I assume tickets will be going on sale as well. They've had quite the year! Hickory Creek and 43 ran the holiday season on the Naugatuck. I rode 43 on the North by Northwest Special on 12/30; it's a phenomenal ride. Looking forward to riding it this year as well.
 #1613414  by STrRedWolf

Jeff Smith wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 6:51 am Webb Rail is announcing it's Hudson River rail excursion schedule today; I assume tickets will be going on sale as well. They've had quite the year! Hickory Creek and 43 ran the holiday season on the Naugatuck. I rode 43 on the North by Northwest Special on 12/30; it's a phenomenal ride. Looking forward to riding it this year as well.
nomis wrote:el Jefe, That would be the URHS ...
Heh, reminds me of what I wrote for the sequel novel. I have a reproduction J3-a Dreyfuss Hudson bring a full 20th Century Limited trainset into Grand Central -- the Hudson being gifted to one of the main characters.

You got to admit, it would be nice to have a full set (including engine) riding the rail again.
 #1613430  by Ken W2KB

In addition to the aforementioned URHS Hudson River trips, there are Valentine Specials in February and a complete 75th anniversary trip New York City - Chicago in September. Details: https://www.hudsonriverrail.com/valentines https://www.hudsonriverrail.com/75thanniversary
 #1614304  by jhdeasy

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 5:50 pm First, for ready reference:

https://www.aaprco.com/rail-car/blue-ridge-club/

Mr. Deasy, does this mean that Ellis did the conversion of two Bedrooms to the Master Suite, or was that done during a prior ownership?
I don’t know. I don’t remember who owned this car prior to Iowa Pacific. I’m tempted to say Iowa Pacific did the modification to offer a premium accommodation to their passengers.
 #1614602  by jhdeasy

DOTX 216 (FRA T-16) is a former Metroliner converted to a high speed research vehicle.

https://railroads.dot.gov/track/automat ... a-dotx-216

Anyone know which shop performed the conversion work? Was it Amtrak (Beech Grove, Wilmington or Bear), or some other railroad or private shop?