Railroad Forums 

• Uniq. Eqpmt Sightings: Private Varnish (PV's), Charters, etc

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1602752  by planespotting

I want to be sure folks are also following the Acela II (Avelia Liberty) discussion board. Avelia Trainset #4 is scheduled to be towed from NY Penn to Philly tonight on the NEC potentially via P42 diesel engines. This could be a rare opportunity to catch not only new Acela but Genesis P42s under the wires. Railjunkie broke the story so all credit to him.
 #1603616  by jhdeasy

John_Perkowski wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:23 pm WRT Jeff’s post above, the cars being run are ATSF business car 23 and Pullman PACIFIC UNION (10-6 from Buss, 1950).
PACIFIC SANDS, rather than PACIFIC UNION, will accompany the business car.

PACIFIC SANDS is based at Los Angeles. Owned by LA Rail.

PACIFIC UNION is based at Rensselaer. Owned by Webb Rail.
 #1603845  by Railjunkie

STrRedWolf wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 6:25 pm Lots of private cars on 48(2) got caught earlier today by Virtual Railfan. I couldn't catch which ones they were, alas.
Oliver Hazard Perry along with a Katy heavy weight business car believe the number was 402 paired with a Pullman green sleeper a dome no name Southern RR drum head and some auxiliary cars. This set has been in Albany before and I believe it will be heading out to Burlington at some point.
 #1603847  by johnpbarlow

Here are a few screen captures of Amtrak 48 (3 locomotives with 19 cars total!) from the North East PA live cam
Attachments:
Amtrak 48 8 PVs North East 080322 2.JPG
Amtrak 48 8 PVs North East 080322 2.JPG (139.03 KiB) Viewed 1402 times
Amtrak 48 8 PVs North East 080322 3.JPG
Amtrak 48 8 PVs North East 080322 3.JPG (134.13 KiB) Viewed 1402 times
Amtrak 48 8 PVs North East 080322 4.JPG
Amtrak 48 8 PVs North East 080322 4.JPG (125.42 KiB) Viewed 1402 times
 #1603866  by Greg Moore

BTW, all this just reminded me of a question I've been wondering.

With the upgrades to ALB to add the house tracks and all, how many PVs are now routinely stationed there and is that up from before?

Seems to me a definite improvement.
 #1603885  by Railjunkie

Greg Moore wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:47 am BTW, all this just reminded me of a question I've been wondering.

With the upgrades to ALB to add the house tracks and all, how many PVs are now routinely stationed there and is that up from before?

Seems to me a definite improvement.
Upgrades for the PV owners not so much for the yard crews that have to switch stuff out. Much better when we could access the yard from both the north and south ends. Now only the north end with a split rail derail and a signal and no room to work yet there is plenty of room for a lead if a little forethought was put into it.

Any given time Mr Webbs cars(4) can be seen there currently just his domes(2) for sure possibly the Pacific Union is in the mix. The NYC3 and The Chapel Hill. AAPRCO was here last year with there autumn express with I think 20ish cars and we had no issues storing all the cars
 #1603947  by Railjunkie

Greg Moore wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:03 pm Thanks. I assume the desire for the lead would be to switch the cars without interfering with the rest of the yard?
Nothing better in the world then trying to make up a train and having to call the dispatcher for either the signal or permission to make a reverse move within an interlocking multiple times at shift change or as I like to call it the cone of silence. 2:00AM and your dead tired or the middle of the day when they have a bunch of other things going on.
 #1607157  by twropr

LAKE SHORE LIMITED 49, leaving Albany-Rensselaer Sept 22, had EIGHT private cars on the rear.
The first was lettered L&N, 2-4 were baggage or generator cars, 5-7 were heavyweights and the eighth
was a dome. Anyone have more info as to what these cars were?
As it turned out, the power on CAPITOL LIMITED 29 broke down at Kendallville, IN. 49 backed onto 29's consist - the combined train had five engines and 24 cars.
Thanks
Andy
 #1607164  by F40CFan

I checked on the Elkhart Indiana Virtual Railfan video and tried to pick out details. This is the best I could do.

1) Louisville & Nashville - Oliver Hazard Perry
2) What looks like a plain grey power car - no markings
3) What looks like a plain grey baggage car with several windows - no markings
4) What looks like a plain grey baggage car with fewer windows - no markings
5) What looks like a sleeper or possibly a diner - no markings
6) Heavy weight open platform observation # 1
7) Missouri Kansas Texas open platform observation # 403
8) Open observation dome - number too small to make out