Railroad Forums 

• Uniq. Eqpmt Sightings: Private Varnish (PV's), Charters, etc

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1581495  by John_Perkowski

dgvrengineer wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:35 pm Two Patrick Henry cars on the rear of #3 tonight. Seen at Galesburg and Ft. Madison.
Mr Henry’s cars are back on the house tracks at Kansas City Union Station. 🙂
 #1581577  by jhdeasy

KITCHI GAMMI CLUB in on train 284(01) from NFL to NYP. The car previously traveled on train 63(29) from NYP to NFL.

Normally, PV's are not switched off/on trains 63 and 64 at NFL; however, at this time, The Maple Leaf is operating between NYP and NFL only, so this movement is possible on a temporary basis.
 #1581700  by Gilbert B Norman

Mr. Vogel, regarding your 5628571, first great to see the "72yo gal" looking in such great shape, much as she did when I rode '61-'63 to get between NY-and Chgo.

Also great to see that gal "dressed for the occasion" sitting in the Obs area!!! I really get annoyed when I see interior photos of "signature" cars in which the patrons are dressed as if attending a baseball game (or flying somewhere).

Regarding 8570, what must that gal on the Harmon platform thought when she noticed "Hickory Creek" - if in fact anything at all.
 #1581880  by jhdeasy

MOUNT VERNON, NEW YORK CENTRAL 43 and HICKORY CREEK from NYP to ALB and return on trains 233(09) and 244(09).

NEW YORK CENTRAL 43 and HICKORY CREEK from NYP to ALB and return on trains 233(10) and 244(10).

MOUNT VERNON from NYP to CHI on train 49(10).
 #1581882  by jhdeasy

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:09 am Mr. Vogel, regarding your 5628571, first great to see the "72yo gal" looking in such great shape, much as she did when I rode '61-'63 to get between NY-and Chgo.
During the past several months, the URHS of NJ has expended significant effort to mechanically repair HICKORY CREEK and correct substantial body corrosion problems, now that they are the OPERATOR of the car, in addition to being the OWNER of the car. They have parted company from the organization that OPERATED the car for them over the past years. It’s a steep learning curve for the URHS, but we wish them success.
 #1582232  by Gilbert B Norman

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:04 am ....But with 100 resident musicians, various support personnel, the maestro, and other hangers on such as those folk that pop $250 kilobucks and more a year and like to hob nob with "the help", I doubt if that train handled all concerned. Orchestras have highway trailers especially fitted with "DF" compartments for each instrument transported separately from the musician.
"The Philadelphians" are back in town:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/10/07/arts ... =url-share

Anyone know if this noted Amtrak "special movement" continues?
 #1582280  by jhdeasy

jhdeasy wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:17 am MOUNT VERNON, NEW YORK CENTRAL 43 and HICKORY CREEK from NYP to ALB and return on trains 233(09) and 244(09).

NEW YORK CENTRAL 43 and HICKORY CREEK from NYP to ALB and return on trains 233(10) and 244(10).
Unfortunately, NYC 43 was bad ordered for air brake problems by Amtrak and did not make any of the scheduled trips on October 9th and 10th. Hopefully it will make its next scheduled commitment.
 #1582416  by 20th Century Limited

jhdeasy wrote:
jhdeasy wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:17 am MOUNT VERNON, NEW YORK CENTRAL 43 and HICKORY CREEK from NYP to ALB and return on trains 233(09) and 244(09).

Unfortunately, NYC 43 was bad ordered for air brake problems by Amtrak and did not make any of the scheduled trips on October 9th and 10th. Hopefully it will make its next scheduled commitment.
Well, these things happen. As you know Jack and as you reported on here, we encountered an issue with one of our first charters running the Hickory Creek back in 2006; but we had made it to ALB on our way to MTR when the issue was experienced during engine change and subsequent terminal brake test in ALB. Luckily parts were easier to come by back then and we salvaged the charter. Now days, I’m not sure who is stock piling in-date F relays to get you on the road again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 #1582452  by Gilbert B Norman

Mr. Deasy, first I note you have turned over the marketing and operation of the "Mount Vernon" to the outfit that does same with Hickory Creek and NYC43.

Now from the interior photo at your still active Dominion Rail site, I note you have removed the Roomettes and replaced such with a Lounge and tables. However, it does not appear that the chairs at the tables are bolted down.

I thought that after Crescent City and the NTSB's recommendation, the FRA decreed that any chair in a railcar would be permanently fixed. I know that you, retired Navy, would not own a car unless fully compliant.

So what am I missing; enquiring mind wants to know.