Railroad Forums 

• Union Pacific UP Big Boy 4014 Steam

• Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.
Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

#163914  by us.trains

rlsteam wrote:Visit my "Big Boys and Challengers Gallery," www.forecyte.com/bigboys , for some action shots in the 1950s.
Many thanks for your link, very beautiful pictures as I like. Your web site is very interesting too I will explore it and link it in mine.

#166956  by FourTwelveTwo

Olivier,

Have you purchased "The Big Boy Portraits" book? It's a mixture of roster and action shots, but there are many angles and views not normally seen in other publications.

I share your love for these machines!

John

#168332  by JeffK

Bonjour! Vous écrivez bien l'anglais - mieux que je puis écrire en français.

Comment se fait-il que vous vous intéressez aux locos américains?
 #348866  by x-press

Greetings:

In old 1950's footage I have seen of the UP 4000-class engines, an overhead view of the steam turret shows TWO vents releasing steam. Neither one is the generator, which is ahead and to the left. I know the blowdown separator is up there somewhere, but the "thing" I thought was the separator doesn't seem to be doing anything in the shot (no steam). One vent is located just ahead of the cab, the other just ahead of it and to the left, still on the dome.

Does anyone know what these are?

Thanks in advance!

JPS
 #352805  by tacomalarry

I enjoy photos of Big boy and S.P. cab fowareds
Mr Stewart from tacoma
 #358977  by TRAINSFORBRAINS

http://www.uphs.org/index.html

I bought full drawings of the Bigboy about two years ago from the folks that put up this site. At the time I paid 30 dollars. I just went there and dont see the offer but if you contact them I'm sure they could direct you on how to purchase the disk. It contains all the mechanical drawings used to build the bigboys including drawings made obsolete during the process of constructing the series. I dont have the disk in front of me but there are hundreds of drawings on the disk. I'm sure your questions would be answered and maybe more questions would be raised. I love going through them to figure out how things work.
 #426694  by tacomalarry

I enjoy photos of big boy the Best UP made
big steam fan Lawrence
 #837017  by airman00

I sort of know the answer to this question already, it boils down to money, (and lots of it), but will we ever see a big boy run again? Just curious of your thoughts.
 #837344  by kaiserworks

I was watching a show on the history channel about the restoration of a B29 superfortress to flying condition, the Boeing company dedicated part of their Wichita factory and countless man hours to make it a reality. Short of that kind of support from the rr industry, these big steam engines will remain static displays.
 #837554  by trainwayne1

I would guess, for the UP, it's a balancing act between cost and public relations value to the company. That, in turn is probably another balancing act between members of the board of directors who are either pro or con about steam. IMHO, I think that the chances may be better on the BNSF are better because of Warren Buffet's pro rail stance, or perhaps if someone can talk someone with the resources of Steve Gates to get involved. That's the kind of major $$$$ it would take.