Railroad Forums 

• Umatilla Chemical Weapons Plant

• A general discussion about shortlines, industrials, and military railroads
A general discussion about shortlines, industrials, and military railroads

Moderator: Aa3rt

#153792  by SteelWheels21

I work as a conductor for UP in Oregon and when we run from Portland to Hinkle (Pendleton) we pass by the Umatilla Chemical Weapons depot. It was actually an interchange point called "Arsenal" before the switches were pulled. My question is when did the rail operations stop there, and how busy were they? The physical plant is massive, there are a couple of abandoned yards that are larger than the ones we serve in Portland, and tracks come and go every which way. Any information would be helpful.

#154550  by RailVet

Here's the data I have on the site. Hope this helps!

==============
UMATILLA Army Depot

Rail Shop
Umatilla AD, OR 97838
(503) 564-5234

Umatilla Army Depot, located ten miles west of Hermiston, operates 51 miles of track connected to the Union Pacific. Rail is 100 pounds on the main line and 75 on sidings. The system operates Monday through Thursday, 0630 to 1700, and Building 10 serves as the enginehouse. [Rail operation closed.]

Locomotives:

Roadnumber Builder Model Date

USA 1250 BLH RS4TC 1954
USA 4026 BLH RS4TC 1954

[Transported to a locomotive dealer in Worthington, OH, 4/4/98. Appeared in the National Railway Bulletin, vol. 65, No. 3, page 38. Last reported in use at the Fernald, OH, Atomic Energy Commission site.]

Rolling Stock:

One 50-ton flat car.

#154801  by SteelWheels21

Great info! Thanks so much!