Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#11188  by msernak

Does anyone know where all of the U34CHs went? I thought some went to Mexico.

#11198  by nick11a

As far as I know, some were scrapped, there is one (maybe more) sitting somewhere in NJ (I forget where) and there are some owned by Alstom in New Mexico.

See this site:
http://www.hobokenterminal.com

Some other people here probably know more specifics than me.

#11822  by njt4172

Nick,

I think you mean the country of Mexico! Yes, at least 15 U-34s went down there, but I believe only a handful are still in service including the 4167.

Steve

#11836  by nick11a

Mexico, New Mexico. What is the difference. It is Southwest, that is what I meant. :)

Yeah, at one point after they were sent down, I remember reading that they weren't going to be used and that their day was done. But then, we found out that indeed a couple were still being used.

#13434  by NJT4207

Jimmy Wilson has one at his yard in Passaic.

#13442  by njt4172

NJT4207,

Welcome back! Haven't seen you post in awhile!!! Hopefully the U-34CH that Jimmy Wilson has is "waiting in the wings." :D Jimmy Wilson spoke to Jack Lettiere last week and he is waiting for the service to begin, IF he gets the green light from NJT.....

Steve

#13449  by nick11a

I am still curious about whether Mr. Wilson can pull this off. I should like to see service re-instituted but I wonder if NJT will let it or if it will work out. We'll just have to wait to see what happens.