Railroad Forums 

• Two new Alcos coming to the LAL.

• Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.
Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.

Moderator: Luther Brefo

#1287438  by mandealco

Hi Scot
The 2 railroad's are linked by the current President of the WNY&P, who was President of the D&H just prior to the CP Rail era. And of course, those amazing Alco's.
Cheers
Steve
 #1296156  by BR&P

LOL, what a bunch of wadded panties over a "u" or an "m". Scot has it right - there is no "official" power with authority to mandate a "proper" term. Railfans can call them whatever they want, but if a given railroad calls it one or the other, that's about as "official" as you can get for that particular railroad. I somehow doubt that a railfan letter to a railroad taking them to task for the "improper" use of a suffix would be met with anything more than a chuckle and derision.

And since "heritage" units and historical paint schemes seem to be in vogue, you can start lobbying LA&L now to paint #14 into BCK, CR or ONCT lettering. :wink:
 #1296216  by scottychaos

BR&P wrote:LOL, what a bunch of wadded panties over a "u" or an "m". Scot has it right - there is no "official" power with authority to mandate a "proper" term. Railfans can call them whatever they want, but if a given railroad calls it one or the other, that's about as "official" as you can get for that particular railroad. I somehow doubt that a railfan letter to a railroad taking them to task for the "improper" use of a suffix would be met with anything more than a chuckle and derision.

And since "heritage" units and historical paint schemes seem to be in vogue, you can start lobbying LA&L now to paint #14 into BCK, CR or ONCT lettering. :wink:
yep, I think it has been pretty well established that RS3u has never actually existed (on the D&H)..
but is there known evidence for RS3m on the D&H..
Now, what will LAL choose? ;) that could make a new official designation!

I like the heritage paint idea!
She never wore Conrail paint though..
She wore two Buffalo Creek paint schemes:

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/Locopi ... x?id=77966" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

She then went through her Conrail years in Buffalo Creek bicentennial paint, and arrive on the NYLE, post-Conrail,
still in BC paint:

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/LocoPi ... ?id=127501" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Third paintscheme, ONCT:

(which is actually very close to the standard LAL scheme!)
Then forth paintscheme, the current LV-inspired Tioga Central scheme.

It appears the RS3 and the S2 have headed out to Olean yesterday or today.

Scot
 #1296222  by BR&P

Altho it never wore a CR paint scheme, it was renumbered into CR 9662, still with BCK Bicentennial colors.

That will place 2 of the 4 ONCT locos on the LA&L, 86 is now LA&L 418. (40 is on Ontario Midland, and the RS3 4085 is.....where?)
 #1297425  by nessman

14 and 506 were in the Gang Mills Yard a couple of weeks ago when I was passing through. If I didn't have a co-worker in the truck with me I would have stopped to count rivets.
 #1298148  by C2629

Here is the ONCT 14 at Victor NY right after it was painted, September 1982
Attachments:
img009_edited-4.jpg
img009_edited-4.jpg (388.3 KiB) Viewed 9587 times
 #1299377  by Missyg24

Sad to see WCOR (G&W RR Now) sell 506.. Thank god i took my fiance there for the 1st time last fall. I grew up an hour from the TCRR when they were In NY & same distance when they moved to PA. Anyone got pictures of here recently at LAL?
 #1363742  by Benjamin Maggi

Is the 506 still in the D&H Bicentennial scheme of red/white/blue on the LA&L? I never got around to driving to the Tioga Central to take pictures of it, but since I will be in Rochester now and then it might occur at that time.
 #1364113  by danpik

Benjamin Maggi wrote:Is the 506 still in the D&H Bicentennial scheme of red/white/blue on the LA&L? I never got around to driving to the Tioga Central to take pictures of it, but since I will be in Rochester now and then it might occur at that time.
The last time I saw it in the shop (about a month ago) it was still in the bicentennial paint. A friend who works for the railroad indicated that it would be sent out soon for repaint into the corporate scheme. Most of the work that had to be done on it focused on the cooling system, most importantly the radiator. It was out for quite some time at a rebuilder. My understanding is that it is back together and moving under it's own power. Still do not know what road number it will receive. If they use the past practice of numbering based on model number, I would guess it would be #3. I suggested that they do a heritage scheme to my friend and even showed him my bicentennial model.