Railroad Forums 

• TV: Great Railway Journeys of the World

• Discussion related to railroads/trains that show up in TV shows, commercials, movies, literature (books, poems and more), songs, the Internet, and more... Also includes discussion of well-known figures in the railroad industry or the rail enthusiast hobby.
Discussion related to railroads/trains that show up in TV shows, commercials, movies, literature (books, poems and more), songs, the Internet, and more... Also includes discussion of well-known figures in the railroad industry or the rail enthusiast hobby.

Moderator: Aa3rt

#299576  by tyke

If you are able to copy 'Zambezi' from VHS to DVD using a domestic DVD recorder then there would be no region coding involved. That is only a feature of commercial disks. Also no need to bother with a padded envelope. Just fold a sheet of ordinary paper over it and put it into an envelope and into the post. It should survive OK. Also there would be no copy protection to worry about.

No Canadian notes, I'm afraid but I would be happy to send Coast to Coast in return or, as I said US notes or a donation to charity.

#299938  by DHLawrence

Exchanging for Coast to Coast would work fine. No DVD recorder, but I found a device that allows me to copy VHS to a computer and I've got a laptop with a DVD recording drive. Now to save up for it!

#300012  by tyke

If you haven't got the ability to copy to a dvd, can you make a vhs to vhs copy? You would just need two vhs machines. The postage would be a little more.

#300301  by DHLawrence

I should be able to do that with little trouble. I'll try it and let you know how it goes.

#322034  by DHLawrence

*warning: thread necromancy*

Hi, it's me again. Sorry I haven't updated with any details--it's been a busy school year, so I haven't had time to look into getting it updated. I'll try to get it done over the Christmas break.

#322035  by DHLawrence

*warning: thread necromancy*

Hi, it's me again. Sorry I haven't updated with any details--it's been a busy school year, so I haven't had time to look into getting it copied. I'll try to get it done over the Christmas break.

(Sorry about double post.)

#447530  by ngotwalt

I just stumbled onto this thread and see there hasn't been anything new in a year. It so happens that I have the Coast to Coast episode (two copies actually) but here in lies the problem. Back in the day my VCR decided to eat the tape, both of them in fact. So I have a complete copy, but do not have a single whole copy. Now to put it simply this video is literally why I love trains. The Rio Grande, The PRR, and Amtrak are my favorites...because they're the three in this movie. The PRR GG-1, The Rio Grande Zephyr, and of course obviously Amtrak. I was wondering if anyone could make a NTSC DVD version of this for me, as I would like very much to have a good full copy of it.
Cheers,
Nick
 #871261  by musicollector

I have encoded hundreds of shows from videotape to DVD, one of them being my #1 all-time favorite "The Deccan" by Brian I.W. Thompson. However, as I foolishly forgot to tape the original to Super-VHS, the VHS quality leaves much to be desired.

I looked at the catalog at the site of producer, Gerry Troyna here: http://www.3di-tv.com/cid-36-1-info.html
Unfortunately, he has not included "The Deccan". :(

Is there some one here who has a GOOD copy of "The Deccan" on video tape or DVD?

You could pick from all sorts of stuff in exchange, if you prefer, from my video collection at:

http://harry.cckerala.com/misc/sitcom.html

Thanks.
 #1449017  by Benjamin Maggi

I have most of the episodes from the 1981 series on DVD which I converted last year from old VHS tapes. The sound however was nearly gone and the DVDs are pretty bad. If anyone has better DVD copies and is willing to sell them, I would love to buy them.
 #1564916  by musicollector

My most favorite Great Railway Journeys episode. I have this on VHS (wish I had used S-VHS). I have put it on DVD for posterity. Now, it is indestructible. Oh, those gorgeous steam locomotives...!!!!

You can also view it here:
 #1564973  by Benjamin Maggi

Oddly, I was just thinking about these shows yesterday night. Apparently the first two series (1980, 1994) were put out by Pentrex on VHS. I emailed them yesterday to see if they still had them but they likely don't. A shame really that they haven't been released on DVD.