Railroad Forums 

• Tuckahoe progress and 1st train

• Discussion relating to the PRSL
Discussion relating to the PRSL

Moderator: JJMDiMunno

#13638  by mgdemarco2

How is the project coming at Tuckahoe? What ever happened to the tentative rail excursion that was to take place this spring? Thanks, lets keep this forum active with summer coming.
 #13712  by chuchubob

The West Jersey Chapter-NRHS will hold its April meeting at (not in) the Tuckahoe Station on Saturday April 24. The restored station will be open for inspection and will house historical memorabilia and photographs.
The WJ Chapter meeting begins at 1 PM and will be open to anyone who wishes to attend. A description of the station restoration will be presented, as well as a Cape May Seashore Lines update.

After the meeting, a CMSL train will run from Tuckahoe to Woodbine Junction and back. Price is $10 (#5 for children under 16). Anyone who shows up wishing to buy a ticket man buy a ticket; it's not limited to meeting attendees. The train will then make a second trip to Woodbine Junction and back, for the benefit of railfans. Photo stops are planned for the second trip, as well as a runby if it can be worked out. The $10 train ticket will be valid for either trip or both trips.

Bob

Also, the South Jersey Railroad Museum, located nearby on Mt. Pleasant Road, Tuckahoe, will be open from 11 AM to 4:30 PM. It is worth a visit.
 #14016  by JJMDiMunno

mgdemarco2 wrote:How is the project coming at Tuckahoe? What ever happened to the tentative rail excursion that was to take place this spring? Thanks, lets keep this forum active with summer coming.
Track work at Tuckahoe is nearly complete. The 10-car stub track by the station will be finished within the next few weeks, and all work on the main and siding at Tuckahoe is already finished. There is the possibility that this stub track may be extended to make a passing siding there at Tuckahoe on the old PRSL siding, so that CMSL need not use the Beesley's Secondary when they need to run around cars. The wye is not re-installed as of yet however, it will likely be some time before this is complete. Several hundred more ties will be replaced between Tuckahoe and Woodbine some time soon to boost up a few weak spots, but that's all. A visit from a ballast regulator and that'll be all ready to go for service. The Woodbine sidings are not yet finished, but will be started soon...work on the Woodbine bridge is set to begin early May. This excursion will not include a trip over the bridge since it is not finished yet.

Everyone that can, be sure to get down there this Saturday! A bunch of people from SJRA are coming or so I'm told, it should be a big event! This is technically not the first train to operate over this segment however, as CMSL operated Christmas trains apparently last December utilizing part of this segment...

Power for this event is supposed to be PRR 7000...

Take care.
 #14095  by chuchubob

JJMDiMunno wrote: This is technically not the first train to operate over this segment however, as CMSL operated Christmas trains apparently last December utilizing part of this segment...
Don't tell that to the West Jersey Chapter officers...they want to believe that it's the first train.
 #14104  by JJMDiMunno

chuchubob wrote:
JJMDiMunno wrote: This is technically not the first train to operate over this segment however, as CMSL operated Christmas trains apparently last December utilizing part of this segment...
Don't tell that to the West Jersey Chapter officers...they want to believe that it's the first train.
Oh, it is officially the first train...the others weren't publicized in any way...I didn't even know they happened at all until a month later...

Does anyone know where they ran those Christmas trains to? A photo I saw shows them on the Beesley's by Tuckahoe tower...did they actually run north on the Beesley's instead of down to Woodbine? Seems unlikely that Conrail would allow them to access the Beesley's for so long a time...but I saw it with my own eyes in the photo. If they did run up or down the Beesley's, then this would in fact officially be the first train to Woodbine.
 #14179  by chuchubob

JJMDiMunno wrote:

Does anyone know where they ran those Christmas trains to?
CMSL's website has a photo whose caption reads: "LV #578 departing Tuckahoe station with the first of the "Holiday Specials" that ran between Tuckahoe and Woodbine, on newly renovated track, on Saturday, Dec. 6th."

http://www.cmslrr.com/2003photos.htm

scroll down to the antepenultimate photo
 #14185  by JJMDiMunno

chuchubob wrote:
JJMDiMunno wrote:

Does anyone know where they ran those Christmas trains to?
CMSL's website has a photo whose caption reads: "LV #578 departing Tuckahoe station with the first of the "Holiday Specials" that ran between Tuckahoe and Woodbine, on newly renovated track, on Saturday, Dec. 6th."

http://www.cmslrr.com/2003photos.htm

scroll down to the antepenultimate photo
Ah thanks Bob...I didn't know they'd added photos from '03 yet to the site...

#14978  by JJMDiMunno

Remember folks, this event is TODAY! I'll return with photographs LATE tonight...

1:00PM - Tuckahoe: Be there...

Yeah, that's right...just tryin to fire up people over here now. I think I've done about as much as I can do over at SJRA...
 #15167  by JJMDiMunno

chuchubob wrote:Here are my photos from a great day at Tuckahoe:

http://www.subwayspot.com/gallery/album02
And after you finish looking through Bob's excellent collection of photos, you get to read my book and a half about today's event:

Hey everyone,
A great day it was today in Tuckahoe...150 tickets sold (or somethign around that), I'd say actually 200 attendees (some didn't ride probably)...that was more people than I'd personally truly
expected to show up. But, this very special day combined with the
PERFECT weather made for the best conditions anyone could ask
for...and that brought the people out in drones.

In any case, here's some photos of my own from today's event (well I
guess it's technically yesterday now, I don't really consider it the
next day until the sun comes up):

Arriving at Tuckahoe a little early (yes, I arrived someplace early,
I'm surprised it didn't snow today just because of that), I found CNJ
1523 on the siding posed next to PRR 7000 and it's train on the main
at the station. There was a decent crowd of people there (you can't
see them here, but they were there), but more would arrive later on:

http://members.aol.com/jjmdimunno/CMSL/ ... erview.jpg

After the West Jersey chapter's monthly meeting (held at the
station), we took off on the first of what would become a total of 3
excursions to Woodbine. The quantity of people on hand outnumbered
the seating capacity of M407 and the Alex DeCroce cafe car.
Therefore, a second regular riders excursion was run immediatly
following the first, to give everyone on hand a chance to ride.
After those two runs were complete, CMSL extra-7000 south departed
Tuckahoe with the "railfan train", which consisted of the photo
stops. Below, CMSL extra-7000 south executes a photo runby about
half way between Tckahoe and Woodbine on the Cape May Branch:

http://members.aol.com/jjmdimunno/CMSL/ ... _Runby.jpg

Upon arrival at Woodbine Junction, all passengers were required to de-
train so that the equipment could be run over the Woodbine Viaduct
(track work not yet complete). A majority of the riders chose to
walk the 1/2 mile to the route 550 bridge to shoot the train
crossing. In perhaps what I just might consider my "photo of the
day", CMSL extra-7000 south with PRR 7000 leading creeps across the
bridge at walking speed, with CMSL president and general manager Tony
Macrie at the throttle:

http://members.aol.com/jjmdimunno/CMSL/ ... odbine.jpg

After that, the cars behind the 7000 were re-boarded by the crowd and
ran express back to Tuckahoe.

I'd like to take this time to publically thank everyone involved in
this great event...including (but surely not limited to) the West
Jersey Chapter NRHS, and of course the Cape May Seashore Lines as a
whole for making this whole day possible.

It was a pleasure to meet some of the people I've talked to online or
via this message board for so long, or people I've corresponded with
over the years in some way. Also, today was a great opportunity to
get the SJRA business card out a little more...hopefully we'll have
some new members joining us soon over here...

OK, finally I'm finished (all may breathe sighs of relief now). Have
a good night everyone.

Mike DiMunno
www.SJRail.com: All about South Jersey Railroads!

#15172  by TR-00

that brought the people out in drones
Is the Drone one of the new models made by Yugo? :P

#15404  by JJMDiMunno

TR-00 wrote:
that brought the people out in drones
Is the Drone one of the new models made by Yugo? :P
LOL oops...I meant droves...that's what happens when I try to write up a report like that at that time of morning... :)