Railroad Forums 

• TS2016 - unworkable

• General discussion of computer gaming and railroad simulations. Topics include MS Train Simulator (MSTS), Auran Trainz, Railroad Tycoon, Railroad Dispatcher and more...
General discussion of computer gaming and railroad simulations. Topics include MS Train Simulator (MSTS), Auran Trainz, Railroad Tycoon, Railroad Dispatcher and more...

Moderators: LIRRMEDFORD, 8th Notch

#1361415  by guycarr360

before I try a general support call,

Installed the full version of TS2016, run it on a i7 PC, with 8Gb, GTX550Ti video Card, eset anti-virus etc....

It runs a few scenarios, however in the main it fails, then dumps a file to c:\tempdump\ts2016-v54.5.dmp.

Many times it completely locks the PC, only a hard reset fixes it.

Any ideas, looking to upgrade to 64bit with a 512Mb SSD drive, and see if that helps.

All help appreciated.
 #1362044  by LIRRMEDFORD

Hi guycarr360 welcome to the gaming forum, my first response to a file dump is usually a memory problem Board RAM or GPU RAM. If you have more then one RAM stick you can usually remove one and see if it keeps happening, if it happens while you have just one RAM stick in most likely that RAM stick is bad. However if it doesn't happen when you have just 1 stick in and you tried both RAM sticks alone it could be the memory on your graphics card(worst case scenario).
 #1362073  by guycarr360

LIRRMEDFORD wrote:Hi guycarr360 welcome to the gaming forum, my first response to a file dump is usually a memory problem Board RAM or GPU RAM. If you have more then one RAM stick you can usually remove one and see if it keeps happening, if it happens while you have just one RAM stick in most likely that RAM stick is bad. However if it doesn't happen when you have just 1 stick in and you tried both RAM sticks alone it could be the memory on your graphics card(worst case scenario).
Thanks for your reply, the PC only does this through TS2016, I have the new PC build onto 64bit/16Gb/512Mb SSD, and will download the program and hopefully away we go.

Will update you when I get to try it.
 #1362218  by Fan Railer

Yea, from my experience it is usually a RAM issue. I've never had to hard reset the PC though; the most I've had to do is force quit the game via task manager.
 #1362288  by guycarr360

I have installed the new hardware setup, downloaded game, and it works a treat.

Its strange this fault only showed up under TS2016, have a feeling it may have something to do with video card, as the fan was going hard some of the time.

Anyway, thanks for all of your help guys..., merry xmas, and a happy new year.
 #1362290  by LIRRMEDFORD

Good to hear if it happens again I'm afraid its the video card, the 550 although you have ti is still just a mid range graphics card and every year train simulator seems to get more demanding graphics wise I personally swapped a radeon 6850 for a 7970 GHz edition myself just to get it to run more smoothly 16GB is a comfortable amount of board memory, id say its the standard lol. Happy holidays to you too!
 #1362382  by Fan Railer

Funny you only experienced this with TS2016. I've been having this issue with just about every iteration since I got it as TS2013 lol.

Happy holidays to you as well.