Railroad Forums 

• Trolley Coaches

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#1480628  by mcgrath618

SEPTA has multiple trolley routes: the Route 15 trolley, which runs from NoLibs to West Philadelphia via Girard Ave, and uses heritage PCC II cars, Route 10, running from City Hall to 63rd and Malvern, Route 11, running from City Hall to Darby, Route 13, running from City Hall to Yeadon with occasional service to Darby, Route 34, running from City Hall down Baltimore Ave, and Route 36, running from City Hall to 80th and Eastwick.
There are also two suburban trolleys, the 101 and 102 out of 69th st. The 101 runs to Media and the 102 runs to Sharon Hill.
 #1480633  by ekt8750

I think he is referring to the trackless trolleys aka trolleybuses. They run in Northeast Philadelphia on routes 59, 66, and 75.
 #1480660  by transit man

My question refers to the trackless trolley/trolley coaches. I want to confirm that they are currently in service and no "bustitution" is in effect.
 #1480678  by JeffK

According to SEPTA's website http://www.septa.org/media/50th/trackless-trolleys.html the three listed northeast routes are still active, served by 38 New Flyer vehicles. The page also states that the two South Philly routes (29 and 79) are in an indefinite status; my understanding though is that the experimental order of Proterra battery-powered buses will be assigned to those routes for testing.

My 2¢ is that given the pace at which storage technology's advancing, we may be saying farewell to wired trolleybuses within a decade.

The page also contains an ugly bit of historical whitewashing: Additional plans to further expand the trackless network were developed by PTC, but a new team of stockholders controlling PTC in the early 1950's shifted gears and began the process of phasing out most of the streetcar network and converting to bus operations.

Can we say "National City Lines", boys and girls?
 #1480697  by JimBoylan

Trackless trolley Rte. 66 is using buses this summer due to Pennypack Creek bridge work.
 #1480965  by ChesterValley

JeffK wrote: My 2¢ is that given the pace at which storage technology's advancing, we may be saying farewell to wired trolleybuses within a decade.
Well I think those trolley buses are here to stay. Battery Tech has hit a bit of a wall in the past 30 years with nothing being able to surpass Li-ion (4.32 MJ/L) or Li-Polymer energy density storage wise. Even experimental super capacitors just cannot compete with gas (34.2 MJ/L) or diesel (35.8 MJ/L) for energy density. Copper wires are the best solution for the moment, although studies are being made into battery busses that can temporarily go off wire around traffic.