Railroad Forums 

• Trip Report: My day on the Ontario Central

• Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.
Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.

Moderator: Luther Brefo

#134544  by Matt Langworthy

Ontario Central is often the forgotten sibling in the LAL family, but the line is an interesting remnant of LV. Yesterday was a rewarding trip to railfan ONCT, and I'd recommend it for any shortline or LV fan.

First, make sure you call ahead. I did, and the crew was glad to let me know the schedule. I got leave to work in Henrietta a little early, so I was able to catch up to the train in Farmington at about 2:15PM. At this point, it was the SW-9 #708 (back-up power) and 5 cars. ONCT serves Ryan Homes near the Hook Road crossing. The spur is actual faces on westbound runs so the crew had to sdwitch the cars on the fly. The bassically split the train up and let tqwo boxcars roll from the mainliner to the beginning of the siding. Then #708 backed up and pushed them. It was pretty interesting to watch, and it took less than 15 minutes. BTW, this switcher can really smoke when the engineer opens up the throttle!
With that job done, the crew recouple the remaining 3 cars and continued west.

I went ahead to the Maple Ave. crossing in Victor. The crew paused to let a few cars pass- some drivers don't respect the bulk of an apporaching train or the laws which dictate that they must stop at a flashing crossing signal. While the train waited, the conductor lubed the switch points with vegetable oil so the train could to the end of the line in West Victor. Apparently, they don't use section very often! The train stopped at a shrt siding just east of Rt. 251 where the engine ran around the train. After #708 backed two cars loaded with phone poles (one flat, one Rail Gon) into the Monroe Contractors facility, they headed east again.

By now the train was just #708 and one covered hopper. They stopped at Maple Ave, realigned the switch so the train could back into the Victor Insulators facility. My last glimpse of the train was watching them disappear amongst the trees.

The weather was great so I got some nice pics. I'll post them here (or on my own site) when I get scanner capability. In the meantime, give ONCT a call. They're nice people who are very friendly to railfans who are courteous and respectful. Good luck!

P.S. ONCT has two regular customers- Ryan Homes and Victor Insulators. They serve about other customers more occasionally or seasonally, including Monroe Contractors and Thompson Feed. Also, RS-36 #418 will be in action as soon as a new air compressor is installed, hopefully in a few weeks so I can take more pics. :-)
Last edited by Matt Langworthy on Fri Jun 10, 2005 1:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.

#134587  by BR&P

While the Ontario Central, like most railroads, does not discuss specific numbers of cars by customer, you can consider the pole traffic as a regular customer, not sporadic or seasonal.

#134683  by bwparker1

BR&P

Any chance you could comment on who other current customers for the OC are besides Ryan Homes, Victor Insulators and Pole Traffic? Awhile back, there was mention of Great Lakes Kraut in Manchester.

Also, what does Victor Insulators manufacture that requires rail delivery or shipment?

Thanks,
Brooks

#134718  by BR&P

Agrilink Foods constructed a new siding and warehouse at Shortsville a few years ago and was a significant customer for ONCT. Unfortunately the food industry went through some consolidation, and the new owners deemed the Shortsville warehouse facility surplus. The kraut factory itself is still in operation but ships nothing by rail. Rail access is still in place and hopefully the building will attract a rail user in the future.

Interestingly enough, at the extreme far end of ONCT a similar situation exists. Iron City Sash & Door was a distributor of Anderson Windows, and for many years was a very large customer for ONCT. In the early 1990's Anderson made a corporate decision to shift from rail to truck, and the almost new siding with 4 rail doors to the warehouse has not seen a car since then. Now that building is vacant and for sale - let's hope that a new owner or tenant arrives who needs rail service.

Victor Insulators manufactures the ceramic insulators used on power lines.

Among others who have used ONCT are Thompson Grain in Manchester, A&K Railroad Materials also in Manchester, and Rochester Gas & Electric, which has moved some large transformers into the area by rail.

#134859  by bwparker1

BR&P:

Thanks, last year, when my wife was in a Rochester Wedding stationed out of Woodcliff, I explored the area and I know the Building you are referring to that used to receive Anderson windows by rail.

It is too bad that you have such new facilities that aren't in use, but maybe as Fuel prices continue to rise, you will see more of an interest in the ONCT operation and shipping by rail.

Does Vistor Insulators receive a powdered matieral used in the manufacturing process, or do they ship outbound finished product?

Thanks for answering these questions, they help to satisfy my personal curiousity.

Regards,
Brooks

#134862  by bwparker1

Also,

didn't RG&E used to have a siding off the old Westshore along Henreitta Rd where they have/had a facility? My family has not lived in Rochester since 1997, so I am not sure if they have moved out.

From what I have, RG&E has shifted its business model to being suppliers of Energy, and are not as interested in generating power anymore.

Brooks
 #135531  by Matt Langworthy

Victor Insulators receives covered hoppers of clay to make the ceramic parts. The clay leaks occasionally, fouling switch points and derails. It can be hard to clean-up becuase it becomes very cement-like under wet or cold conditions. To the best of my knowledge, VI does not ship finished products via ONCT.

#135987  by clearblock

bwparker1 wrote:Also,

didn't RG&E used to have a siding off the old Westshore along Henreitta Rd where they have/had a facility? My family has not lived in Rochester since 1997, so I am not sure if they have moved out.

From what I have, RG&E has shifted its business model to being suppliers of Energy, and are not as interested in generating power anymore.

Brooks
RG&E moved out of the Jefferson Rd, Henrietta facility many years ago.

Like other utilites, they have been encouraged by the PSC to get out of the generation business. The Ginna nuclear plant has been sold and the days are numbered for Russell Station.

RG&E/Energy East is doing transmission network upgrades and does get large transformers shipped by rail to the nearest point to their substations that are being upgraded. The OMID has also been involved with some transformer moves.

#138791  by Matt Langworthy

clearblock wrote:
bwparker1 wrote:RG&E/Energy East is doing transmission network upgrades and does get large transformers shipped by rail to the nearest point to their substations that are being upgraded. The OMID has also been involved with some transformer moves.
You actually saw OMID? While ONCT is a little elusive, OMID is downright hard to chase!