Railroad Forums 

• Trenton

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1339828  by rr503

Are there any freight customers left?
 #1340368  by von schlieffen

There were recently gondolas outside a scrap metal recycler on Enterprise Ave. Not sure how frequently they ship metal, this was in the past year though.
 #1340470  by CJPat

There is an old fallen tree to the east side of the Lower Ferry Rd crossing that, although it doesn't block the track, it is laying right up to the edge of it. I would have thought if they were going to use the rails, a Maintenance crew would have removed a chunk of the tree to get it away from the track edge. The tree has been there since probably the Winter.
 #1340680  by rr503

Thanks!
Wow... Not even one regular customer left...
Sad to see what was a bustling industrial city decline like that...
 #1340868  by EDM5970

I go down Enterprise Ave. every few months, and would disagree that there are no regular freight customers in Trenton. Almost every time I go past the scrap dealer there are gons or hoppers being loaded. The unfortunate thing is that the siding is across Enterprise from the scrapyard, and transferring scrap from trucks to the railcars ties up traffic. Plus the loaders leak hydraulic fluid, and sit on pads of 'diaper' material. What a mess... There is also Certified Steel, off Whitehead, and I believe they have rail service; there is a siding into their fairly new building. Not sure about Homosote on the RDG side, though-
 #1340875  by rr503

EDM5970 wrote:I go down Enterprise Ave. every few months, and would disagree that there are no regular freight customers in Trenton. Almost every time I go past the scrap dealer there are gons or hoppers being loaded. The unfortunate thing is that the siding is across Enterprise from the scrapyard, and transferring scrap from trucks to the railcars ties up traffic. Plus the loaders leak hydraulic fluid, and sit on pads of 'diaper' material. What a mess... There is also Certified Steel, off Whitehead, and I believe they have rail service; there is a siding into their fairly new building. Not sure about Homosote on the RDG side, though-
Maps has cars at the scrapyard...
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.2401325 ... a=!3m1!1e3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
And a 3 cars outside Certified Steel (2(?) in front, one in back)
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Certi ... 6b11c5934a" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
What train would serve these?
 #1340944  by von schlieffen

I don't think the Reading side gets anything anymore. They replaced some crossings not long ago, the track isn't abandoned, but it looks like they basically just use the wye where it meets the main line.
 #1341563  by simonbr

rr503 wrote:What train would serve these?
I believe that would be the WPMO25, which comes out of Morrisville on some weekday nights.
 #1341926  by nick11a

I saw a train that appeared to have two NS units and a bunch of cars sitting just north/east of Trenton at about 11:40 PM at night on 6/30. It was facing south/west waiting just outside of the station and interlocking. What train might have this been?
 #1341943  by rr503

nick11a wrote:I saw a train that appeared to have two NS units and a bunch of cars sitting just north/east of Trenton at about 11:40 PM at night on 6/30. It was facing south/west waiting just outside of the station and interlocking. What train might have this been?
Assuming MO = Morrisville, PA, it would probably be the aforementioned WPMO25
 #1342108  by simonbr

rr503 wrote:
nick11a wrote:I saw a train that appeared to have two NS units and a bunch of cars sitting just north/east of Trenton at about 11:40 PM at night on 6/30. It was facing south/west waiting just outside of the station and interlocking. What train might have this been?
Assuming MO = Morrisville, PA, it would probably be the aforementioned WPMO25
Yep, most of the Morrisville yard power is NS and the WPMO25 is the only regular freight job that operates on the Corridor in the Trenton area. Sounds like it had finished its work and was waiting for permission to head back to Morrisville.
 #1342491  by nick11a

Thanks folks. I was surprised to see it sitting there. I didn't think there was really any freight action left in the Trenton area. Happily, I was wrong.