Railroad Forums 

• Trenton Cutoff

• Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
 #1501292  by buckyswider

nova08 wrote:Trenton Cutoff / Morrisville line sees on average 8 movements a day

4 East/West Intermodal to/from Chicago
2 East/West manifest to/from Conway
2 locals east/west originating from Abrams
Thanks! my guess was in the ballpark!

nova08 wrote: All other as needed trains barely run anymore.
Sad that we don't get the annual circus train any longer :(
 #1519137  by rcthompson04

sarsfield wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 7:22 pm any update on daily train activity on the Dale Secondary especially around Henderson?
Light would be the best way to describe it. There are two sidings between Henderson Road and the old PRR Main Line. My understanding is that there is one train a day to Coatesville when the passenger service stops west of Malvern at night. I have seen a freight on the Dale Secondary a few times during the day.
 #1593684  by rcthompson04

I was driving by where the Dale Secondary meets the Main Line on US 30 just east of Phoenixville Pike yesterday and noticed something I never saw before... it looks like a long overgrown railroad spur coming off the Cutoff or Philadelphia and Thorndale going north across US 30. I never thought anything of it until the brush was cleared back by the owner on the north side of the road. It looks like PRR construction with a small stream culvert.

Whatever was there is long gone, but the property records indicate the right of way on the southbound side of US 30 at that spot looks like a spur and is still owned by Norfolk Southern's real estate holding company.

Any thoughts on what that was?
 #1594021  by buckyswider

nova08 wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:56 pm Trenton Cutoff / Morrisville line sees on average 8 movements a day

All other as needed trains barely run anymore.
Hi Nova, wondering if these numbers are still accurate? Or if this info is online somewhere, please point me to it so I don't keep bugging you :). Thanks!
 #1594114  by nova08

buckyswider wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 11:42 am
nova08 wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:56 pm Trenton Cutoff / Morrisville line sees on average 8 movements a day

Hi Nova, wondering if these numbers are still accurate? Or if this info is online somewhere, please point me to it so I don't keep bugging you :). Thanks!
There are still 4 intermodals a day. The manifest trains were annulled and combined into a EB/WB intermodal. I believe the intermodals pick up most manifest cars in Abrams.

I think the as needed coal trains run more frequently compared to a few years ago. There has been an increase in export traffic from the old Fairless steel mill.
 #1594122  by nova08

rcthompson04 wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 1:54 pm I was driving by where the Dale Secondary meets the Main Line on US 30 just east of Phoenixville Pike yesterday and noticed something I never saw before... it looks like a long overgrown railroad spur coming off the Cutoff or Philadelphia and Thorndale going north across US 30. I never thought anything of it until the brush was cleared back by the owner on the north side of the road. It looks like PRR construction with a small stream culvert.

Whatever was there is long gone, but the property records indicate the right of way on the southbound side of US 30 at that spot looks like a spur and is still owned by Norfolk Southern's real estate holding company.

This sounds like it could be the PRR Phoenixville Branch
 #1594473  by buckyswider

nova08 wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 8:41 am
buckyswider wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 11:42 am

There are still 4 intermodals a day. The manifest trains were annulled and combined into a EB/WB intermodal. I believe the intermodals pick up most manifest cars in Abrams.

I think the as needed coal trains run more frequently compared to a few years ago. There has been an increase in export traffic from the old Fairless steel mill.
Thanks again! So we're down to 4 "guaranteed" a day with the occasional "as needed" trains. Sounds about what right by my ears (literally, I hear them roll through from my house!)
 #1594627  by rcthompson04

nova08 wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 10:07 am
rcthompson04 wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 1:54 pm I was driving by where the Dale Secondary meets the Main Line on US 30 just east of Phoenixville Pike yesterday and noticed something I never saw before... it looks like a long overgrown railroad spur coming off the Cutoff or Philadelphia and Thorndale going north across US 30. I never thought anything of it until the brush was cleared back by the owner on the north side of the road. It looks like PRR construction with a small stream culvert.

This sounds like it could be the PRR Phoenixville Branch
Thanks. That appears to be it. https://www.abandonedrails.com/phoenixville-branch
 #1606216  by CNJSouDivFan

Hello All, wanted to see if anyone could help me out with info on the Dale Secondary. I just moved to the area and want to get a glimpse of NS operating through Devon/Malvern. Thanks in advance!