Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#7757  by JayMan

Hi I'm a native New Yorker now residing in Connecticut that is a planning to return to NY for a visit this spring or summer. I havent been home since 2002 and I've been a a transit buff since youth. Can anyone offer any suggestions for places to visit to check on what has changed in the NYC transit world since '02? For starters the R-142 cars were just getting in when I was last there, and they didn't have the Orion VI & VII buses in my day (or at least I didn't see any).

What are some good places to visit to check out what's new? I'm also looking forward to going out for a spin on the M-7 trains. Too bad the Stillwell Ave. Terminal isn't complete yet, or I'd swing by there too!

#7808  by RRChef

Here is an interesting trip you should consider. Take a M-7 from Penn Station to Jamaica. Almost all trains stop at Jamaica so it doesn't matter what train it is. At Jamaica, transfer to the JFK AirTrain to the airport. The system just opened in the last few months. On the way back, transfer at Howard Beach to the A train back to the city. I think it's a nice way to kill 1/2 a day riding the rails.

#7970  by Skip-Stop

Check out the IRT Flushing Line. There was a Redbird every other arrival...but now:

R62A's rule.

#8221  by R142A

Definitely check out the Brighton Line. It really depends what you want to see. If you want R-46, ride the R. If you want 142A, ride the 6. Do you want to see old or new trains?

#8301  by efin98

what is the Brighton Line's letter designation? I ask because I had heard that some of the lines in that section of the city had changed designations.

#8317  by Skip-Stop

Brighton Express: Image (runs weekdays only)

Brighton Local: Image (other times)

Does that help you out? :wink:

#8329  by JayMan

R142A wrote:Definitely check out the Brighton Line. It really depends what you want to see. If you want R-46, ride the R. If you want 142A, ride the 6. Do you want to see old or new trains?
New stuff -- I'd like to see what's changed since I've been gone. Last time I was in NYC they were getting the R-62s on the Flushing line.

I think I'll go for a ride on the R-143s too -- I do hope they do something for the look of the R-160s -- I think the front of the R-143s are hideous -- they should have designed it to be more like the R-110B's.

#8606  by matt1168

What about the V?

You should also check out the new Secacus Jct. station, and even the River Line if you get a chance!

#8669  by JayMan

The W and V were around when I was there last -- maybe I'll take a trip on the Manhattan Bridge on the now that it's open. I'd like to take a trip in NJ and utilizing Secausus Transfer -- I once went to Middletown, NY but now I don't have a reason for going there!

#8729  by R142A

JayMan wrote:
R142A wrote:Definitely check out the Brighton Line. It really depends what you want to see. If you want R-46, ride the R. If you want 142A, ride the 6. Do you want to see old or new trains?
New stuff -- I'd like to see what's changed since I've been gone. Last time I was in NYC they were getting the R-62s on the Flushing line.

I think I'll go for a ride on the R-143s too -- I do hope they do something for the look of the R-160s -- I think the front of the R-143s are hideous -- they should have designed it to be more like the R-110B's.
Well if you want to see new stuff, check out the 2, 4, 5, and 6 lines. You may get an R62 on the 4, but just wait for the next train and it will either be an R142A (I prefer the Kawasaki-built cars) or an R142. If you want to see R143 cars, your only choice is the Canarsie Line (the L line). You can also catch them rarely on the M shuttle on weekends.

#8731  by R142A

By the way, every single car on the 2 and 5 trains are R142 cars, and every single car on the 6 are R142A cars. You may have to wait a train or two on the Canarsie to catch an R143, because they have about 4 trainsets of R42's running on the Canarsie.