Railroad Forums 

• transfer cabooses

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#214085  by Roger Hensley

Here's some info about CI 67 (numbered for the year it was built) from the Railroads of Madison County site.

Built in 1967, as one of fifty cars built by Despatch Shops, Inc., East Rochester, NY. 39 were NYC 18156-18194; 10 were for the Detroit Terminal, DT 33-42; and one was the CI 67. At the time of the PC these cars were identified as Class N6A and carried the same Class into Conrail. It was renumbered by Conrail to CR 18005. - JRR

#214096  by BR&P

Thanks! Nice shot of the CIRY. Looks like they added another step to the bottom on each corner?

I never ran across the DT cabs but that CIRY is the one I remember, 67.

It's interesting as I recall groups of 3 and 4 of those new ones fresh from being built, to think back 100 years or so, when various shops were turning out brand new wooden cabooses. In their time, they must have been the latest word in size and comfort.

#346140  by BR&P

As far as I know they all were green - never saw anything else.
 #367841  by isaksenj

I'm surprised no one cited this website:

http://crcaboose.railfan.net/classes/N-6A.htm

Hit the drop-down menu for details and photos of other classes.

Our caboose CMRR 697 is the former CR18015. There's a small picture of her about 10 years ago in fresh paint on that particular page :^)

She's due for a new coat of paint in the spring, but is still earning her keep in work service every weekend.

#368417  by Dieter

The models look pretty sharp, but I recall Xfer Cabooses on the Harlem Division where the railings were all safety yellow, and instead of a small Cigar Band above the window, there was a larger one to the LEFT of the center window.

D/