Railroad Forums 

• TRAINSPOTTING ON THE MORRISTOWN & ERIE, 2012

• Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.
Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, cjl330, mikec

#1071252  by bk77

RS115 wrote:
7205 has disappeared from the shop area - did it in fact get sold and shipped?
There was a black RS11 sitting on the Ridgedale run-around a few weeks ago with a bunch of other stuff. Don't remember the number, but it might have been the '05
 #1105715  by TSTOM

Sometime within the last few days 4 MetroNorth F40's, 1 NJT F40 and 1 NJT GP40 arrived in Morristown and are parked both within the yard and up on the hill.

Presume this is hurricane related and each unit needs some repair work of some sort.
 #1106033  by blockline4180

TSTOM wrote:Sometime within the last few days 4 MetroNorth F40's, 1 NJT F40 and 1 NJT GP40 arrived in Morristown and are parked both within the yard and up on the hill.

Presume this is hurricane related and each unit needs some repair work of some sort.

Yes, but I believe there are 10 units there.... 4 MN and 6 NJT, plus the 2 ALP45's that were there before for Warranty work.
 #1107919  by therudycometh

#20 emerged from its major overhaul today for a test run, which was a success! She'll be heading back to Bayway ASAP.

Then we used her for some switching around the shop while #18 was spotted up on the hill, ready for tomorrow's run.

And finally, a night shot, just for fun.

#1109859  by therudycometh

The M&E suffered almost no damage due to Sandy - we didn't even lose power. There were a handful of downed trees on our various lines that were mostly cleared by the Wednesday following the storm and completely cleared by mid-day Thursday. We suffered no service interruptions on the Whippany Line (service interruptions on the other branches were due to NJT's closure of the Morris & Essex), and the shop forces were partially back at work Tuesday afternoon and fully staffed again by Wednesday.

Our biggest Sandy impact has been (I can say this now because it was officially released by NJT over the weekend) working on 10 NJT and MTNR locomotives that were damaged by the flooding at the MMC and Hoboken. Even with the flood of extra work, we still managed to complete our overhaul on #20 and get it back down to Bayway yesterday (#19 is now back in Morristown).
 #1110439  by riffian

My daughter reports a westbound through Chatham station at 0800. One unit and one empty flatcar. She's not a railfan, so all she saw was the red Morristown and Erie. Where might this be coming from?
 #1110452  by therudycometh

The crew left this morning around 0740 with an empty bulkhead flat, so at 0800, they would have been heading eastbound (not westbound - perhaps your daughter was mistaken?) through Chatham, probably to Center St.
 #1110570  by RS115

The empty bulkhead flat (don't know who the customer was but someone on the original line) would have been being delivered the CSX interchange point. Center Street is in Harrison. The track can be seen from NJT trains after Newark while paralleling 280. Most traffic goes to NS at Lake Junction but some goes to CSX.
 #1110686  by blockline4180

RS115 wrote:The empty bulkhead flat (don't know who the customer was but someone on the original line) would have been being delivered the CSX interchange point.
Perhaps on the Jefferson Ave Team track?? I saw a bulkhead flat sitting there on Monday... I have seen them spot tankers there, but maybe they switch other commodities there as well now.

Also the Oil Lube company(former Royal Lube) in East Hanover still gets tankers, and I believe those come from CSX as well.