• Trains on CSX St. Lawrence Sub (CR's Montreal Secondary)

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

• 2214 posts
  by Flat-Wheeler

Wow !! Nice photo's, Carl !!
Just gotta love them old GE U-boats and EMD high hood geeps, in crisp Conrail blue paint, shunting short cuts of cars to various rural communities.
  by x1sspic

My love of railroading is largely from growing up near Canton in the early 80's, so It's great to see pictures of the line from that time period. Thank you for sharing!

Scott
  by roadster

Massena to Syracuse has been 25 mph max authorized for a couple years now.
  by scharnhorst

roadster wrote:Massena to Syracuse has been 25 mph max authorized for a couple years now.
wow they droped the speed a lot. I thought that there were a few 40mph spots on the line at one time??
  by tree68

Heck, I thought most of it was 40 mph, with a few obvious restrictions.
  by scharnhorst

tree68 wrote:Heck, I thought most of it was 40 mph, with a few obvious restrictions.

I thought the same thing when paging threw a time table issued in 1999 by CSX the line has varied speeds ranging from 25-40mph all up and down the line must be the line has been put under the new CSX NO maintaince program?
  by Flat-Wheeler

Ya think ?

It must be aggravating now to run that line, unless all the crew cares about is the paycheck. I can only imagine the discussions in the cab. What a shame.
  by roadster

In 2007 there were so many 25 TSR's and a half dozen 10's thrown in for good measure, that they felt it was easier to change the Timetable Max. speeds to 25mph. The slower restrictions which were in place are still there, IE: 20 mph Richland curve, 15 mph Watertown curve North of the river. It's more challenging now. At 40 mph momentum carried you over alot of the smaller undulations, but now, at 25 we're either chasing it or it's chasing us. Instead of a Dewitt to Massena Pool. For the past 2 years, there has been a Dewitt/Watertown poll, and a Massena/Watertown pool. As neither side could make the entire run within the law now. The Current Timetable is #5, issued spring 2008.
  by roadster

No, the 25mph restriction begins at CP 291. Besides with a 10 mph restriction on the Wye leg,(entire length of train), and that nice steep climb outa Liverpool to Woodard, there were very few trains indeed that may even had a chance at 40 mph by CP-W. Most of the time we don't even get the EC-1 for the dark territory North of "W" untill we are past the signal at the North end of the wye and have an "Approach Signal" there. So we were limited to 30 mph prepared to stop at "W" anyway. Southbound is the same, usually getting an "Approach Medium" at "W" requiring 30 mph prepared to stop at CP 291. So even in the days of 40 mph, it was nearly impossible and impracticable to attempt 40 mph between CP 291 and CP-W. It's not the lack of signals that have determined the track speed. It's the condition of the track.
  by lvrr325

If anyone's interested, a northbound is approaching CP-W as I type this at 6:50 AM with CSX 345 leading a white Soo SD60 who's number was too small for me to read. A little grungy and one of the hood doors on the fireman's side was open, but it's also going to be a nice, sunny, warm day and given it's not uncommon for it to take them most of the day just to make Watertown.. it might be worth chasing a bit - them Soo units won't be around forever -
  by roadster

Hope I didn't keep you awake last night. B776 south around 1:30a and North around 3:45a.
  by lvrr325

I tend to be a night owl anyways, I don't always look out to see what's going by, but I never get tired of the sounds. Once in a while someone blows a horn down there, it wouldn't surprise me if deer wander down in there - there's tons of other wildilfe along the lake.