Railroad Forums 

• Trains and operations in Browns Yard

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1603050  by Bracdude181

Posting here since the Delaware and Raritan River topic is still locked.

DRRR JB-1 going to Freehold today with BDRV 1888, one bulkhead flatcar loaded with wooden poles for EH Allen, and the caboose…
 #1603075  by Bracdude181

In Sayreville. Just north of Browns Yard.

Conrail used to deliver to them directly until EH Allen’s track became unsafe to use. Long story short they diverted the pole shipments to Freehold for EH Allen to pick them up there.
 #1603137  by GSC

Conrail Blue wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 10:34 pm Wow that’s crazy. Where in freehold do they spot the cars?
In the Freehold yard across from Builder's General, there is a stub end track where the pole cars were spotted. That's also where the brick car was spotted when that service operated. Some might remember the brick guy with the flatbed truck that we always thought he'd drive that forklift right off the truck someday.
 #1603266  by R&DB

Bracdude181 wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 12:37 pm In Sayreville. Just north of Browns Yard.

Conrail used to deliver to them directly until EH Allen’s track became unsafe to use. Long story short they diverted the pole shipments to Freehold for EH Allen to pick them up there.
I cannot understand why they cannot find a team track closer to Sayreville.
 #1603335  by Bracdude181

Was in the area and checked out Stiles Yard. New ties and ballast being put in. CSAO ballast cars sitting in the middle of the yard. New flags on switch stands at the south end.

Yard was also reconnected to the branch line at the south end that connects the yard to the Garden State Secondary.

Odd for a big yard like that to be re opened. Maybe it’s gonna be an overflow thing for Oak Island??
 #1603336  by Bracdude181

Todays SA31. CSXT 4405 and 10 cars.
Currently at or approaching CP WILLIAM on the Amboy Secondary.

3:25 pm Permission on Church
3:52 pm Permission to open up
4:04 pm Lined and Locked normal
4:51 pm Clear of BANK interlocking on the Southern Secondary
 #1603606  by nomis

I wouldn't be too concerned about 2 cars today, as an one-off occurrence. Looking back there were 68 cars from 7/7 to 7/28 for the SOUS, still at an average of 17 a week.
 #1603610  by Bracdude181

It should also be noted that Woodhaven is almost completely out of room to put their products. Some materials are stacked nearly as high as surrounding buildings!
 #1603934  by RailsEast

"It should also be noted that Woodhaven is almost completely out of room to put their products. Some materials are stacked nearly as high as surrounding buildings!"

Not sure what Woodhaven's reasoning is for this inventory, but back in my business days if I even got a slight hint of product price increase, I would order all that I could at the current price to save me thousands of dollars in the coming months. Just a thought.....
Chris