Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

#289023  by PRRGuy

This morning on Train 600, the first train of the day out of M.C. Sideswiped and derailed with a Freight Train at the west end of Tamarack, The first 2 cars derailed on 600 and are in the swamp next to the track, damage to the Freight is unknown at this time. The info I have recieved at this time says the first car may be a total loss. No crew members of either train were hurt.

I'll post more info when I get home from work.

#289122  by Rockingham Racer

So, why would they suspend ALL service? Do they have equipment failure concerns?

#289161  by JLJ061

Probably because the derailment site is between Chicago and Michigan City where all equipment is kept, so there was no feasible way to move trains past the site.

Here are the first pics I have seen from the accident site...
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/archiv ... x?id=15502

#289187  by PRRGuy

Yep, thats exactly why, this was the first train of the day. We don't keep equipment overnight anywhere except the shops.

Ok, here's what I heard. Train 600 was to meet a wb freight at Tamarack It was about 5:30am dark with slick rail. 600 goes into the siding while passing the head end of the freight, the signal at the west end was red. 600's engineer didn't know the freight was stopped and was planning on a moving meet however the freight was about 8 cars in the foul and stopped. Cars 106 and 17 hit the freight and derailed leaning towards the north side of the track. There were 3 crew members and 9 passengers on the train at the time. The engineer and one passenger were treated for minor injuries. I've heard from numerous people that car 106 will be used for parts and scrapped.

#289194  by PRRGuy

Here's the two derailed cars from Train 600. 106 and 17, after the freight cars were removed. The soot marks are from the battery box, it caught fire during the sideswipe.

#289222  by PRRGuy

Car 106 was placed along the r-o-w on the north side. The cab was covered by a tarp and was supposed to be tipped on its side. I was told it will have all its underbody equip. removed then it will be placed on a trailer or flat car then brought back to the shops.

#289267  by JLJ061

PRRGuy wrote:600's engineer didn't know the freight was stopped and was planning on a moving meet however the freight was about 8 cars in the foul and stopped.
Ohhhh.... shades of 1993 all over again. At least this time the casualty rate was much lower.

#289306  by Nasadowsk

How'd they manage to wreck both pans on the lead car? Do they run both pans up, or did one of them deploy for whatever reason in the collision?

#289323  by MikeF

The B end pan probably either snagged on something during the collision or popped up from the impact. Normally only the leading pan (in this case, the F end) is used.

#289585  by Scotty Burkhardt

Glad to here nobody got impaled this time.

Kinda cool to see the AC4400's under SS wire.

#289630  by JLJ061

Scotty Burkhardt wrote:Glad to here nobody got impaled this time.

Kinda cool to see the AC4400's under SS wire.
Coming soon to a theater near you: "Wide Cabs Under Wire." lol

#289634  by Scotty Burkhardt

I'm there man!!

How about Under the wire, Down the street????