Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

by MetraBNSF

Some recent discussion on car lengths of certain trains on each of the lines.

The longest trains on the Metra system are 11 cars. Three of them run on BNSF, one or two run on the UP-NW.

The shortest trains are 3 cars. HC has one three car set. A while back, a few off peak RI trains ran with 3 cars. These days, most short consists are 4-5 cars.

With the addition of new service, have certain existing trains had cars added? SWS had a 9 car train at one time, it was cut to 8 for a while, now its back to 9 cars.

The longest trains on most lines are 9-10 cars in length. Because of increases/decreases in ridership, and outside of special events, have certain trains had cars added or removed?

by metraRI

RI has not seen a 3 car train in a while, I would say at least 2 years since the last mid-day round trip was changed over to 5 cars. Recently, both Sunday consists have been bumped up to 6 cars each, cut from 9 car weekday rush trains.

As of last Friday, SWS no longer has a 9 car train. #15 made its final 9 car run on 1.27 where a car was switched out and added to make another 7 car set. Both trains stored in Manhattan did have 8 cars until today where #829 was cut to 7.

by bones

SWS is back to having 9 cars and a double header as of Thurs. My trains 834/827/838/837/842/841 are now 8 cars with a single unit.

The BNSF has at least one 12 car train.

by MetraBNSF

bones wrote:SWS is back to having 9 cars and a double header as of Thurs. My trains 834/827/838/837/842/841 are now 8 cars with a single unit.

The BNSF has at least one 12 car train.
BNSF Naperville express #1267 had 12 cars around the holidays, its been since shortened back to 11 cars. 98% of the time, the 11 car trains rate an MP36 for power. Those things haul ass!

by doepack

MetraBNSF wrote:BNSF Naperville express #1267 had 12 cars around the holidays, its been since shortened back to 11 cars. 98% of the time, the 11 car trains rate an MP36 for power. Those things haul ass!
They sure do! And if you catch it at the right angle, it really makes for an awesome picture.

BTW, it's about time the SWS had 9-car trains restored... don't understand why it was cut back in the first place, given the route's heavy patronage...

by M&Eman

How about the Electric District? What's the longest and shortest trains on that line. I bet there are a few 2-car consists for midday/weekend service on the branches. MUS are great for short consists.

by metraRI

bones wrote:SWS is back to having 9 cars and a double header as of Thurs. My trains 834/827/838/837/842/841 are now 8 cars with a single unit.
Huh interesting, I should have stayed out to see more of SWS's rush last night. What now has 9 cars, 823-836-833?

by Scotty Burkhardt

Most of the Blue Island runs are 2 cars.
The #504 out of Blue Island is the only 4 car run I know of.
A few times I've seen run #506 with 3 cars

Most 93rd Street/Mid-Day U.P. runs are 4 cars

Rush Hour University Park Trains are 6 cars, but there are a few 7 car runs.

by doepack

I recall seeing train 139 (1808 dep. from Randolph St.) having eight cars on it at times, don't know if that's still the case...
  by BMT Standard

I remember reading some time back that the HEP generators could not power more than 11 bi-level coaches. Can anyone confirm?

by Realityrail

Eleven cars is about the maximum due to the size of the cables transmitting the three phase 480 volts and also that the HEP alternators are rated at 500 kilowatts maximum, where as most of the Amtrak F40PH locomotives had HEP generators rated at 800 kilowatts.