Railroad Forums 

• Tracks on old docks, Hoboken's north end

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1304541  by Snowmojoe

Hi all -

Who used to operate the old tracks that can still be seen on the old docks on the Hudson between 12th and 14th streets in Hoboken, and then the ones on the *really* crumbling old dock just north of 15th street? There are both train tracks and what appear to be rails for a gantry. Then down at the end of 9th Street there are 3 more piers/docks that appear to have the remains of railroad tracks on them.

The north end of Hoboken has changed massively and it hasn't even been that long (the changes in just the last 10 years are pretty massive) but I can still remember that back in the late 80s and early 90s, the north end of Hoboken used to be all giant old brick factory/warehouse buildings and I'm curious who used to serve that area by rail. If anyone knows what industries were in there that'd be cool to know as well. I feel like I once read there used to be a factory on the water there that made torpedoes for the Navy back around World War II?

I walk down there periodically on lunch from work and have been curious about the still-visible rails for a while. I attached some Google Maps screenshots for clarity's sake (I've messed with them in Photoshop a bit to make them small enough to upload without losing too much resolution. If the colors seem off, they are).
 #1304551  by CarterB

Hoboken Manufacturers Railroad then Hoboken Shore Railroad.
The HMR operated car float service to serve the Maxwell House plant, though it did not own any tugs or barges. It was abandoned in the late 1970s, after the demise of the Hoboken Piers.
Extensive web page here: http://hbs.railfan.net/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1304558  by Snowmojoe

Wow, that was pretty detailed. Very interesting. This area really has changed quite a bit more than I could have realized. Thanks for posting that link.
 #1304574  by pumpers

Had I only realized what there was to explore back 40+ years ago...

From the Hoboken Shore website and Sanborn maps, it looks like all the piers you mention were part of Bethelehem Steel Shipbuilding Division. The next one south (just south of 12th st) was General Food/Maxwell House. JS