Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#59555  by Lackawanna484

I'd suspect the transportation planners would love to have the Putnam Branch back in operation. It would provide a belt of service across Westchester County, and tie in nicely with service from north of Brewster.

Carmel, Lake Mahopac, etc are fast growing, and put large number of riders at Goldens Bridge, Purdy's, etc

I suspect the decision to abandon the Erie Main through Middletown (downtown), Monroe, Chester, etc will prove to be a problem as these areas continue to grow very rapidly. At least the first 10 miles or so int through Chester.

Having the Erie line from Newburgh Junction to Newburgh would be nice, but I'm not sure it's critical. Getting West Shore service up to Haverstraw is probably more important.

#59566  by hoharold

If you want a lesson in impossible logistics take a map of the dear old Put and count the number of grade crossings that would have to be dealt with and the fills that would have to be unfilled. I don't think that the original ROW would have been wide enough for modern times even if the current obstructions were not there... You could do it in 1:87 tho... Might make an interesting basis for a model railroad at that.

etc

#59604  by Noel Weaver

I think the track they would most like to have back would be the upper
Harlem north of Wassaic, at least as far as Millerton and maybe farther.
If the Harlem trackage was still available to Chatham, I would imagine that it would have passenger service the whole way today. A lot of people
riding the Amtrak Hudson trains between Albany and New York use their
cars to reach Rensselaer, Hudson and Rhinecliff stations from points east
in Rensselaer, Columbia and Dutchess counties.
Commuters in near-by Connecticut and Massachusetts also avail them-
selves of the Harlem Line trains too.
The whole area is growing rapidly.
Noel Weaver

#59677  by njtmnrrbuff

I actually wouldn't mind seeing the Harlem be extended to Millerton. If that can't be done, I think Metro North should just run shuttles on the Upper Harlem every hour or so especially if the area is growing. This is a little similar to transit running hourly service on the Gladstone on weekends in both directions. If you have sidings, use them is what I'm saying.

#59711  by Swedish Meatball

I think having the 4th track back from CP 261 to New Haven would be a huge help for us on this part of the state. Also if their is any chance of commuter service from NHV to Springfield putting the 2nd track back in has to be a priority.

#59753  by Lackawanna484

The old Erie track from Spring Valley north to Thiells / Haverstraw would also be of use, especially if they ever get a light rail going across the Hudson River.

I figure one branch could run along the old Piermont-Spring Valley-Monsey-Suffern line, and the other branch north from Spring Valley to Haverstraw.

#59773  by njtmnrrbuff

In response to the proposed commuter service of CDOT to SPG, it would be nice, but a friend told me, and I agree with him that the improved service on the Springfield line is like its own commuter service. For one thing, fares on that line were brought down to commuter fares. Bascically, Amtrak needs to add more trains, maybe during the peak hours, 30-45 minute intervals would be good. Also, run more cars on every train. Maybe, 3-6 cars on the shuttles is good. I know on the Vermonter, there are 6 cars. On the 140 series, it is like 7 to 10. Also, it would be nice if this corridor could get their own DMUs for the shuttles. Believe me, Those two car trains can be tricky to get a seat sometimes. In fact, I've heard about people getting turned away at times. This corridor has quite a few colleges, companies, plus the state capital.

#59898  by D.Carleton

How about the New York, Westchester & Boston to White Plains?

#59900  by N.Y. State Of Mind

hoharold wrote:If you want a lesson in impossible logistics take a map of the dear old Put and count the number of grade crossings that would have to be dealt with and the fills that would have to be unfilled. I don't think that the original ROW would have been wide enough for modern times even if the current obstructions were not there... You could do it in 1:87 tho... Might make an interesting basis for a model railroad at that.
Tha Put would be elevated between Lincoln and Ardsley to circumvent that problem, and also to avoid tha floods that occour in tha lower Saw Mill area. It can be done, and it can be used as tha lower segment of tha Tappan Zee rail line.
D.Carleton wrote:How about the New York, Westchester & Boston to White Plains?
It would be better off as an LRT.

#59970  by Otto Vondrak

The NYWB to White Plains? Hrm. If anything, that line would still be around today as the White Plains branch of the New Haven Line, coming off the main at the old Columbus Avenue flyover. And of course, in good MTA parlance, the old NYWB Westchester Avenue/White Plains terminal would be called "White Plains East."

-otto-

#60385  by MickD

As much as I enjoy the view fron Moodna,I prefered the Old Erie M/L route through Middletown.Used to enjoy walking over to where the old
O&W shops were and visiting that old station of the The Old&Weary's.
I'm originally from Eastchester,NY&my parents from Pelham &New Rochelle ,so both The Put&the NYW&B are two lines I'm sorry I never got
to ride.By the way any news on that new NYW&B book?

#60425  by Otto Vondrak

(A bird told me that the new NYW&B book will be available in time for Christmas)

#60522  by JoeG

I'd like to see the Piermont Branch restored. That might not be totally far-fetched. The MTA and the Thruway Authority are planning a rail corridor from Suffern to Port Chester. Will it actually get built? I wouldn't hold my breath, but with oil prices going up the way they are, maybe there's hope.

#60698  by njtmnrrbuff

A cross anything protaining to rail is needed between Suffern and Portchester. I have dreaded all thoses road trips to see my brother at Conn College on the Tappen Zee, 287, and 95. I only got to take the train once. I am not big on driving at all. There is just too much to think about. Before you know it, gas prices will just be as much as two slices of pizza.

#60725  by Lackawanna484

njt/mnrrbuff wrote:Before you know it, gas prices will just be as much as two slices of pizza.
Or, worse, gas prices will cost as much as water. The ShopRite water works out to $3.50 a gallon. If you move up to Perrier, etc, that stuff is $9 a gallon.