• Track pans in Winter

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by NKP1155

Were there track pans between Buffalo and Cleveland in 1944? If so, where were they located? did the NYC keep them open all winter? if so, was it done by circulation or heating?
  by NYC_Dave

From a 1948 NYC document: From east to west, track pans were near SILVER CREEK, WESTFIELD, SPRINGFIELD & PAINESVILLE.
An Erie Division map is available on the Canada Southern website.
http://www.canadasouthern.com/caso/maps.htm
  by Noel Weaver

I believe at least some of the track pan facilities had steam plants but I wouldn't swear to that.
Noel Weaver
  by ExCon90

I think that's true -- everything I've seen about track pans states that there had to be a steam plant (and someone to attend to it) at all locations where the weather got cold; and that's where pretty much all of them were. One more reason why track pans were an expensive nuisance that could only be justified if there was a dense pattern of express passenger trains where shortening the transit time was important commercially. On top of that, track pans by their nature had to be out in the country, away from populated areas -- just getting a maintainer to and from them had to be arranged for. Maybe they used a track car for the purpose?