Railroad Forums 

• Track layout around Bergen Arches and Croxton

• Discussion relating to the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western, the Erie, and the resulting 1960 merger creating the Erie Lackawanna. Visit the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society at http://www.erielackhs.org/.
Discussion relating to the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western, the Erie, and the resulting 1960 merger creating the Erie Lackawanna. Visit the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society at http://www.erielackhs.org/.

Moderator: blockline4180

#149105  by elan201

All-

I've always wondered how the Erie tracks were laid out coming out of the Bergen Tunnel (north of the DL&W Hoboken overpass) back when I believe 6 or so tracks existed. As I was born in the early 70s, I don't remembermore than the current 1 track (possibly an aged 2 track that was removed in the early 80s) that currently comes out and bears off to the right and north as part of the current River Line. I recall the old Montclair Line (NJT days) had a track that continued under the current NJT Main/Bergen/PV lines splitwhenre 1 went north and the other south towards Oak Island. I also recall the 1 track connector from the BCL connecting to the south towards Oak Island. If someone can help diagram (or post a layout) this area from yesteryear, that would be great.

The other area that's peaked my interest was around the Harmon Cove area. My earliest memories of Croxton Yard really only covers the demolished remains of the turntable and a couple of tracks going through the weeds. Was the BCL (NJT / NJDOT) line from Hackensack bridge to where it joined the Main Line "always" like this or was this built when the Erie moved passenger svc to Hoboken? If it was built when svc was moved to Hoboken, did passenger service basically run through the middle of Croxton Yard to get to JC ?

Thanks in advance.

#149152  by elan201

All- Just to clarify, not looking for someone to draw anything but if you could verbally clear up my questions, that would be great.

Thanks.
 #149302  by henry6

There are quite a few books which can help. Mainly check Taber's DL&W in the 20th Century plus other books about Erie and Lackawanna and NJ. Sataufers ERIE Power is also a good source. Libraries have lists of them and lists in other libraries. Check local histories and local historical and rail societies. Don't have your location, but do know there is a lot available.

#149725  by wantsrail

There were 4 tracks diverging to the north immediately after exiting the Bergen Arches.

One pair for the Northern Branch and the other for the NYS&W.

There was also one or two tracks branching off southward, from the NYS&W, connecting to Marion Junction.

#149829  by elan201

Albert - Thanks for the response. Bare with me, but where is Marion Junction? Is that were the old NJT Montclair line leaves ground level and joins the Main/Bergen lines?

What about the tracks that go south to what is now Oak Island? There was the Croxton fly-over which was rebuilt a couple of years ago and the current 3 tracks which merge into one that ends up joining the old PRR JC line into Oak?

Thanks again,
 #149834  by henry6

Marion Junction is (was) where the Erie interchanged with the PRR to JC. DL&W and Erie both used this before their respective tunnels were built and the junction was maintained by Erie and PRR afterwards up to "modern times". Each era, merger, etc. changed names, track, junctions, uses, etc and best bet is to check maps such as NY-NJ Port Authority Port of NY maps and others which were really updated as time went on.

#219777  by HSSRAIL

There were three Towers involved in routing trains to and from the
Erie's Jersey City Terminal.

The first was Terminal Tower at the Throat of the Terminal.

Than Grove Street Interlocking at Grove Street was the Jct between the
Passenger line and the Freight line and access to Monmouth Street Yard

Last going west was Croxton Tower. Croxton controlled the Jct of the
Erie Freight Line into Croxton Yard and the 4 track Passenger Line to
the Northern Branch and the Greenwood Lake Branch and the Erie Mainline to Rutherford.

The 4 track passenger line went thru Bergen Cut. With the closure of
the Erie's Jersey City Terminal it was reduced to 1 track. at the end of
the cut the tracks came over a viaduct which on track charts shows strait but pictures indicate it curved.

The freight line went thru a tunnel it was double track and was the Erie's original line into Jersey City. The freight line was also reduced to single track about the time Jersey City Terminal was closed. This tunnel was continuous from end to end smoke was terrible in this tunnel durring the steam era.

The last passenger trains to use Jersey City Terminal were those of the Northern Branch and the Susquehanna railroad in 1960-61.

The Bergen Cut Line lasted into the early 1970's account that it was the access for the South Yard. The freight line thru Bergen Tunnel reached
the North Yard. The North Yard lasted the longest its last customer was a tri-level auto rack unloading facility. So the first line the Erie Built to Jersey City was the last to be ripped out.

The South Yard went first as industries closed up and fled Jersey City.
 #220981  by ChiefTroll

elan201 wrote:Was the BCL (NJT / NJDOT) line from Hackensack bridge to where it joined the Main Line "always" like this or was this built when the Erie moved passenger svc to Hoboken? If it was built when svc was moved to Hoboken, did passenger service basically run through the middle of Croxton Yard to get to JC ?
The two main tracks east of HX Bridge to (originally) Croxton Tower were the two passenger main tracks from the time of construction of Croxton Yard and HX Draw. There were two more tracks on the north side from HX into Croxton Yard that were used as freight running tracks and were not designated as main tracks. The passenger main tracks never ran through Croxton Yard - they skirted it to the south as they do today.

HX Bridge always had two tracks. The bridge was within the interlocking limits of HX. West of HX to Rutherford Jct (BJ) the four tracks were numbered from the north 3-4-1-2 until 1 and 2 were removed in 1968, when tracks 3 and 4 were renumbered 1 and 2. Tracks 3 and 4 had been essentially, but not exclusively, for freight trains between Croxton and the Bergen County Railroad. Tracks 1 and 2 were normally used for passenger trains. Trains to and from the NJ&NJ had to use Track 3 in both directions between HX and HB (NJ&NY Jct) because there were no crossovers at HB - only the junction switch - at least in 1968 on. Track 3 was signalled for both directions between HB and HX.

The general scheme was to keep most freight trains on the north side of the railroad from WJ Ridgewood Jct into Croxton Yard, including the BCRR; and to keep passenger trains on the south side wherever they could.

The four tracks from WJ to Suffern were numbered from the north 1-3-4-2 with most freight trains and through passenger trains on 3 and 4, with local passenger trains on the outer tracks 1 and 2.

The Erie had a policy of using heavier rail on freight mains, so the Graham Line, both mains from NJ to SF, Tracks 3 and 4 to WJ, the BCRR and Tracks 3 and 4 from BJ to HX were laid with 130 to 132 lb rail, depending on the time it was laid. Tracks 1 and 2 from SF to WJ, the original Erie Main Line from WJ to BJ through Paterson, and Tracks 1 and 2 from BJ to HX were laid with 110-115 lb rail, again depending on age.

That's enough for one post.

Gordon Davids

#221099  by AndyB

Although all tracks are not included, the following link
http://mapmaker.rutgers.edu/HUDSON_COUN ... 4_1965.gif

from Rutgers historic maps may help you understand the layout.

#222701  by njt4172

AndyB wrote:Although all tracks are not included, the following link
http://mapmaker.rutgers.edu/HUDSON_COUN ... 4_1965.gif

from Rutgers historic maps may help you understand the layout.
Interesting! Is it still possible to connect the lower Boonton line at Kearny, NJ with access CP Marion and the tunnels?? Or is that track severed?

#222952  by AndyB

Try the following link:
http://local.live.com/
In the search bar enter Utica St., Jersey City, NJ
This will bring you into that area of Jersey City.
Go to aerial photo view, scan west from the cemetery.
I believe these photos were done in the last three years.