Railroad Forums 

• Toys For Tots NJ 2013 and beyond

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1202802  by R36 Combine Coach

The Toys For Tots train program has been a success since 2009. It has been a partnership between sponsor railroads and local communities and nonprofits. Most recently it has been expanded to the M&NJ in Orange County, after starting on the NYSW and M&E. Given the success and support, and looking at the NJ DOT rail route map, I thought of possible lines that could hosts Tots For Tots in the future:

Boonton Line: NS H-02 route, Dover to Montclair, with stops at Boonton, Lincoln Park, Wayne-Route 23, Little Falls, Upper Montclair and Bay Street (no NJT service west of Bay Street weekends)

Northern Branch (CSX): Palisades Park, Englewood, Tenafly, Cresskill

Washington Secondary (H-02): Dover west to Mt. Arlington, Netcong, Hackettstown, Washington, Phillipsburg

CSAO already operates a Browns Yard Santa Train, so could Conrail run a "South Jersey Toys For Tots". Possible route via Vineland Secondary: Pavonia to Gloucester City, Woodbury, Pitman, Glassboro, Clayton, Vineland.

These seem interesting ideas for future years.
 #1202831  by nick11a

I do believe that the train is not allowed to make "stops" on NJT. They can only travel on it where trackage they have trackage rights. So, with that, stop in Washington or Phillipsburg.... But that'd be a hike. The NS Washington Secondary is 10 MPH from Bill to Phillipsburg,
 #1203691  by FullScale4Me

The Toys For Tots train organizer announced the following 2013 dates and lines at the June 2013 Tri-State Historical Society meeting:

12/7 - NYS&W Railway, Southern Division (Rochelle Park to Pompton Lakes)
12/8 - Middletown & New Jersey Railroad (Hudson Secondary & Maybrook lines)
12/14 - Morristown & Erie Railway (Dover & Rockaway)

More info will be posted online as the season approaches. Check out: http://dover-nj.toysfortots.org/‎ and facebook https://www.facebook.com/pages/Toys-for-Tots-Train/153558018077011

The on train volunteers are coordinated by the Volunteer Railroaders Association where you can find accounts of past years trains.
 #1203791  by R36 Combine Coach

FullScale4Me wrote:The Toys For Tots train organizer announced the following 2013 dates and lines at the June 2013 Tri-State Historical Society meeting:

12/14 - Morristown & Erie Railway (Dover & Rockaway)
No High Bridge Branch to Flanders this year?