Railroad Forums 

• Tours of Buffalo Central Terminal

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#37650  by EastCleveland

For those who might have missed this. . .

Monthly tours of Buffalo Central Terminal are being held again. The remaining dates for 2004 are August 14, September 11, and October 10. The tours are jointly run by the Central Terminal Restoration Corporation and the Preservation Coalition of Erie County.

I finally visited the place for this past Saturday's tour. A sizeable crowd turned up, along with a substantial number of volunteers who were cleaning up areas of the terminal for Spencer Tunick's upcoming photo shoot. Even in its vandalized and decrepit state, the building is still spectacular. Well worth the visit.

For the "automotively challenged," the terminal is reachable by city bus route #4, which runs along Broadway from the Buffalo City Hall area. The nearest bus stop to the terminal is at Sweet Avenue. BCT lies one block south -- in an area that, although very poor, seemed far safer than several neighborhoods I've lived in.

www.buffalocentralterminal.org

http://bfn.org/preservationworks

#38350  by arnstg

Sorry "Eastcleveland" that I didn't know that both of us were there. I was also there on 7/17 and was impressed with the progress that has been made in the last year.

Volunteers were cleaning up the upper floors and the station was in much better shape than a year ago. Too much still has to be done but at least the building is being secured.

Hey! Did you see the original Buffalo??

#38673  by EastCleveland

Yes, I saw the buffalo. Funny, I'd been under the impression that the original had gotten pretty bedraggled and moth-eaten, thanks to soldiers carving off bits and pieces for "good luck" during World War II.

The stuffed animal currently stored at BCT looks in suspiciously good shape for its age. In fact, it looked as if it had only just kicked the bucket the previous afternoon. But it was a nice to see it nonetheless.

#45319  by steve levine

I still recall this grand bldg when I visited at age 6 ,in 1960.We rode the NYC from Poughkeepsie,NY.The clanging bells of those E units,hooked me for life.

#45473  by arnstg

To Eastcleveland:

It would be great to have CTRC come up with someway for fellow passionate believers like us to let themselves be known to each other.

A badge, special cap, or something similar would be great to show that you are a strong supporter of their efforts.

I believe they are still considering a "A Friends of Buffalo Central Terminal" group.

I sure hope so. Would like to meet you and talk about old times.

Thanks, Jerry