Railroad Forums 

• Brightline (All Aboard Florida) Orlando - Miami FL FEC fka Virgin Rail

• This is a forum for all operations, both current and planned, of Brightline, formerly All Aboard Florida and Virgin Trains USA:
    Websites: Current Brightline
    Virgin USA
    Virgin UK
This is a forum for all operations, both current and planned, of Brightline, formerly All Aboard Florida and Virgin Trains USA:
Websites: Current Brightline
Virgin USA
Virgin UK

Moderator: CRail

#1613519  by Gilbert B Norman

According to their website, Brightline is now offering service from the new stations at Aventura and Boca.

The Aventura station is located opposite the Aventura Mall; the Boca station is at NW 4th Street and Dixie Hwy. Both are now noted by Mr. Google on his maps. While the addition of these station stops, as well as one planned at KFLL, makes the service more available, they do add to running time. It's simply a "trade off".

Finally, Brightline has added a 1205A Northbound departure. This will make their service attractive for those attending events at the "no longer named" arena @6th & Biscayne. But how about a late Southbound departure, say 11P, for those attending events at Kravis Center (more of interest to me than anything at "no longer named").
Last edited by Gilbert B Norman on Sat Jan 14, 2023 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #1613528  by Jeff Smith

Apparently the Aventura and Boca stations have added quite a bit of ridership. Also, saw something about a golden spike ceremony at KMCO. They're getting close to consummating service Miami to Orlando; should be this year. As for limited stops? Unsure.
 #1613531  by Gilbert B Norman

Considering my Florida journeys are made during Jan and Feb (March why? the end of winter is in sight), an end-to-end joyride will be a (God willing; you have to throw that in at my age) "wait till next year".

Florida in August??? please. Did so once for a family emergency; the blast of hot humid air when the cabin door was opened at KFLL was unlike any I had felt since deplaning at VVTS July '67.
 #1613632  by JohnFromJersey

If COVID didn't happen, I think realistically speaking, the Miami-Orlando segment would have been done in 2020/2021 - I think that was the original timeline anyway.

It also does make sense for Brightline to have more than a few stops between Miami-WPB. With that route, which isn't that long at all, Brightline is pretty much covering the same distance that TriRail does - so it makes sense for Brightline to try and be a luxury version of TriRail commuter rail in the meantime.

Everyone I know that has taken Brightline says it's a very pleasant experience, though it can be expensive. Brightline had just under 1.3M riders in 2022, which is pretty damn good. I'd imagine that number is going to balloon when Orlando service opens up, and balloon even more when Tampa opens up.

With how insane traffic has been getting in South and Central Florida since the pandemic, I don't think an extra few stops will make driving any faster over Brightline.
 #1613643  by Gilbert B Norman

Mr. John from Jersey, I'm planning a Miami West Palm joyride next Sunday. I'll share with the Forum my "trip report".

Yes, the next to giveaway fares are over. The RT Miami-W Palm in Select (First) is $104, however I could shave that somewhat with a Smart (Coach) return. I will have had enough Chardonnay and Pinot Noir on the going trip and at the Ruth's Chris in WPB to say "enough; just get me back to the hotel" (Hilton, opposite Arsht Center).
 #1613779  by JohnFromJersey

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 7:42 pm Mr. John from Jersey, I'm planning a Miami West Palm joyride next Sunday. I'll share with the Forum my "trip report".

Yes, the next to giveaway fares are over. The RT Miami-W Palm in Select (First) is $104, however I could shave that somewhat with a Smart (Coach) return. I will have had enough Chardonnay and Pinot Noir on the going trip and at the Ruth's Chris in WPB to say "enough; just get me back to the hotel" (Hilton, opposite Arsht Center).
From what I have heard from others and seen in my research, NYC-DC and Miami-Orlando are roughly about the same distance (~220-230 miles). If it's true that Brightline's tickets from Miami to Orlando are going to be starting at around $100, that's considerably cheaper than most of Amtrak's services to NYC from DC, like the Acela, by anywhere from 50-100 dollars cheaper. Granted, Amtrak will be slightly faster from NYC to DC than Brightline from Orlando to Miami.

That being said, Brightline is still more attractive than flying between Miami and Orlando, since the flight is only about 30 minutes but there's probably at least another 2-3 hours of prep time, and is anywhere from $100-150. Brightline will probably be a much more pleasant experience.

Driving is the cheapest option between Miami-Orlando, especially if you have multiple people going, but I have driven from Miami to Orlando a few times. It's a pretty rough trip, there are usually tolls, traffic is brutal (especially with everyone moving down there), and gas prices right now aren't very good - you'll probably go through at least around 10 gallons of gas driving there, one way.
Bracdude181 wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 4:00 pm https://youtu.be/IYZYAYdwY3g
Hopefully, we see test runs soon. I think we can expect to see Orlando-Miami open up by the summer of this year! (knock on wood)
 #1613889  by west point

A thought on the previous post. Will the wheel rail profiles interact together to always operate the signals. Since Cocoa <> Orlando is dedicated rail does the two profiles work well for signals? Thinking of the mess of CN and all the Superliners needed to make the signaling work. Anyone now the Brightline wheel profile as comapred to various Amtrak and freight RRs. Then as well freight RR rail profiles the same for ocoa Cocoa <> Orlando ?
 #1613893  by Jeff Smith

https://www.travelagewest.com/Travel/US ... to-orlando
Following some delays, Brightline Orlando is on track to open in 2023.

How Long Will Brightline Take From Miami to Orlando?
Brightline will travel from Miami to Orlando in just over three hours. The train travels 125 miles per hour and helps passengers avoid driving in traffic.

Fast Facts: Brightline Orlando Will Offer Smart and Premium Service
- Passengers will access trains by escalator or elevators to the first-level platform and board from one of two new track platforms.

- These platforms are 1,000 feet long and will accommodate a train with four coaches and two locomotives that will transport guests on the Orlando to Miami route.

- The main entrance is located off the airport’s two-story glass atrium.

- Once inside the station, passengers can purchase tickets from guest services or a self-service kiosk, and check luggage before proceeding through touchless turnstiles into the security screening area.

- Brightline is the only rail system in America that screens all passengers and bags prior to boarding.
 #1613894  by Jeff Smith

https://www.thenextmiami.com/brightline ... o-segment/
The final section of track on Brightline’s new corridor to Orlando has now been installed, according to a video by The Roaming Railfan.

To mark the occasion, ceremonial golden clips were installed, tying the final section of rail together.

Installation of the last 1600 foot section of tracks is a major milestone in connecting Miami to Orlando by train.

The rail forms a brand new segment running from existing tracks at Cocoa and ending at Orlando International Airport.

Trains are planned to initially run at 125 miles per hour on the newly built segment. However, Brightline previously said it is studying increasing speeds on that segment to 150 miles per hour.

For now, Brightline is only building a single rail track between Cocoa and Orlando, but the design and right-of-way allows for second track if needed.

Substantial completion of the entire Brightline Orlando project is expected in early 2023, with the first paying passengers expected to board later this year.
 #1613937  by JohnFromJersey

Brightline pushing 150MPH would truly put it in what is the international definition of "high speed." I don't see why they can't make the trains go 150MPH on the Orlando-Cocoa segment, as that is almost entirely grade-separated. I think some of the local governments voiced concerns that anything over 125MPH could be "dangerous."