Railroad Forums 

• New Industry being added in Auburn by FGLK!!

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1018699  by scharnhorst

Finger Lakes sent in a proposal for a trans-load facility in Auburn, NY on some property that they own in the City (marked with in the Red Box on map) this past week I got to see the plan that was submitted to the Auburn Fire Department other party's that got this notice were the Cayuga County Development agency, City Hall, Auburn Police department. The ground braking will begin in 2 to 3 weeks the proposed site will be for bulk loading and unloading from everything from Hoppers, Tank Cars, Flat cars, and Boxcars and will be equipped to handle plastic pellets, grain, fertilizer, lumber, pipes and outer odd size loads. Truck traffic would enter the site from Van Anden Street and exit on to Seymour Street and would account for an average 6 trucks or more a day from dawn to dusk.

The Fire Department had final say on the project being that there is an old Mill next to the property all was cleared for the project to begin! If I here more I'll post more updates.
Attachments:
FGLK PROJECT.jpg
FGLK PROJECT.jpg (112.31 KiB) Viewed 8104 times
 #1018937  by nessman

Looks like a MOW siding. Seems like an oddball place to put a transload facility with room for a couple of cars and right next to an apartment complex.

Don't they already have a much larger transload facility on Columbus Street where they park the caboose and engine?
 #1018984  by D&H

Well i'm glad someone posted a seperate forum for a specific topic. Makes it much easy to follow.

Anyways, back on topic, be very interesting to see how that works out. Doesn't look like there's much room there to do anything. Can't imagine storing equipment for unloading and then pulling a big rig or two in there. Guess we'll find out.
 #1019018  by scharnhorst

I'm looking at the NYC Track plans from 1/1/1948 of this area right now and see a lot here.

Conrail removed what was left in the early 1980's. In reality this sub was much longer and was the start of the actual New York Central Auburn Yard there was also a Lehigh Valley Interchange Point here but that's a different trend to be talked about later. The sideing started at this location and ran all the way up to North & York Streets. Conrail cut a lot of this up to what we see today on current FGLK track maps. The Sideing by North and York was cut and shortened to what we see now. The area where the little stub has room for two 50 foot cars. under Conrail it was used to park the NW2's and or SW units when Conrail used to keep locomotives assigned to Auburn the last time I ever saw a Conrail unit and a transfer Cab parked there was around 1990 after that the line was cut down to 1 train a week. There were 2 tracks here going North and 1 switchback stub track facing South to service the grain elevator here in the area that I boxed in red during the NYC/PC years. The FGLK dose own a good 200-300 foot or wider ROW here on the West side of the current line stretching all the way up to North Street due to it being a former Rail Yard it may not look it with all the property owners that have unknowingly built on parts of the old Yard ROW.

The FGLK have a lot of property to work with in the Auburn area and has plans to add some more things here in Auburn from what my informant told me. For now I won't go into details on whats next to come until that info becomes official I won't release it.
 #1019026  by scharnhorst

nessman wrote:Looks like a MOW siding. Seems like an oddball place to put a transload facility with room for a couple of cars and right next to an apartment complex.

Don't they already have a much larger transload facility on Columbus Street where they park the caboose and engine?

That's a good question but the issue is that the FGLK don't own the property on Columbus street Agway supposedly bought it from Conrail from what I had been told a few years ago. The FGLK had to get permission from the fertilizer company there to build that little brick transfer building next to the track which can only take in to Van trucks at a time. Its a problem as its shared by 4 or 5 other local company's that also transfer from Boxcars to truck and from Truck to Boxcar there.
 #1019104  by scharnhorst

Redweeli wrote:Can sombody keep us posted with pictures when stuff shows up to start working?
Work should start in a few months. The 1st phase was completed last spring which concluded the removing of some trees and stripping out the old rail along with 3 switches that were buried under weeds and light fill I never took pics of it as I thought it was a private property owner other than the FGLK being ordered by the city to clean the site up. Once this snow has melted away I'll swing down and get some photos of the site before the bulldozer gets there.
 #1019112  by scharnhorst

Here we are this is how the area looked on January 1, 1948 NYC Track plans

Current track is in Yellow
Abandoned track in Red
proposed area for transfer site in Blue Square. The NYC station was located in Parking lot just Southwest of this area.
Attachments:
fglk 2.jpg
fglk 2.jpg (136.34 KiB) Viewed 7910 times
 #1019116  by scharnhorst

Here is a rough draft of what the NYC had for track plans in Auburn on 1/1/1948 all the red shows what has been removed all the Yellow is current track in use.
Attachments:
fglk 1.jpg
fglk 1.jpg (55.99 KiB) Viewed 7904 times
 #1019665  by scharnhorst

FGLK Crews wasted no time in getting the site done! A friend of mine saw them on Friday morning (Feb 17) with 2 front end loaders, 2 backhoes and a large roller and a fleet of dump trucks bringing in crusher run! The Electric Company even got the power installed on Friday as well! FGLK even got that Yellow Burro crane out of there!
 #1019690  by poppyl

Time is money as the old adage goes. Sounds like they have a customer(s) already lined up to use the space or maybe they need to vacate the Agway space. In any event, good news in the aggregate.

Poppyl
 #1019696  by lvrr325

Two transload sites = twice as many opportunities for business. One on your own property = more flexibility and more control over the site. Seems logical enough to me. Just too bad they can't do one on the old LV below where it swings over into Agway, where the sidings to Columbia Rope used to be until around 1992.
 #1020031  by scharnhorst

lvrr325 wrote:Two transload sites = twice as many opportunities for business. One on your own property = more flexibility and more control over the site. Seems logical enough to me. Just too bad they can't do one on the old LV below where it swings over into Agway, where the sidings to Columbia Rope used to be until around 1992.
The old LV Main line and property went back to the property owner the land that Colombian Rope was on belongs to the developer that owns the strip mall there. The track that go's into the old Agway has the one trans-load site for Boxcar to Truck transfer at current date Cayuga Beverage, Johnston Paper and 4 or 5 other company's use it including a company up in the Oswego/Fulton area and on occasion a place in Weedsport that shreds tires. In the fall A local farmer uses the area to load covered hoppers at the old Agway site as well Loading takes place mostly at night and or on weekends.