Railroad Forums 

• New Industry being added in Auburn by FGLK!!

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1020140  by Jeff Smith

Site Admin: Checking in; someone asked about putting this in the Class III forum category. While it's technically a Class III railroad, and this thread indicates it may have some freight business, it's primarily a scenic/tourist railroad, so for now it will stay in the Regional Railfan category.

I'm reassessing what to do on tourist and museum operations going forward. PM me if you have any questions or suggestions.

Thanks!

-Jeff
 #1020152  by Jeff Smith

joshuahouse wrote:Say what? While the Finger Lakes does have a small tourism department they are by far mostly a freight railroad.
I stand corrected..... I always assumed it was a scenic operation. A quick google search of "Finger Lakes Railway" revealed a link to the scenic operation. A little more in depth look revealed something else.

You can't expect me to know every Class III and tourist op in the country, after all......

I'd like to grow my Class III category; I'll take the issue under advisement.
 #1020186  by scharnhorst

Jeff Smith wrote:Site Admin: Checking in; someone asked about putting this in the Class III forum category. While it's technically a Class III railroad, and this thread indicates it may have some freight business, it's primarily a scenic/tourist railroad, so for now it will stay in the Regional Railfan category.

I'm reassessing what to do on tourist and museum operations going forward. PM me if you have any questions or suggestions.

Thanks!

-Jeff
The railroad is primarily a Freight Railroad and always has sents it started in 1995. The tourist train type stuff did not kick in till mid 90's with the NRHS asking the railroad to do a few runs during the summer with cars borrowed from the NYS&W. Serious operations kicked in shortly with trips being sponsored by area groups mostly as fundraisers by all means the railroad makes little money on this. There main income approx give or take 95% comes from Freight and railroad car storage. The FGLK canceled all passenger tourist operation about 2 or 3 years ago due to one of the organizers leaving the company. The RR keeped the passenger cars with the stipulation that a private operator be found to set up the events and staff the train. There were also some issues with a 3ed party share holder that also began making trouble with in the company and put a foot down on the operation. As of late 2011 the share holder was booted out from what I heard and a few trips have taken place on the Ontario Central.
Last edited by scharnhorst on Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.