• Conductors

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by traingirl22

Quick random Question..

How do you find out when your normal conductors are bumped too? We have always pretty much had the same conductors now they are switched. I inquired with the new conductor and she said a bunch of people were bumped and now this will be her shift for the time being?
  by mtuandrew

Welcome, traingirl22!

I'm moving your question to the General Discussion: Employment forum, because it is more likely to get an answer there. It'd help if we knew what railroad you're referring to (Metro-North, NJ Transit, Metra, Amtrak, etc.), but suffice it to say that employees with more time of service can "bump" other employees out of more desirable jobs.
  by EricL

Seniority moves, or bumps, are liable to happen at any time for various and sundry reasons. On Amtrak in particular - and maybe other roads - the conductors' and engineers' union contracts provide for an "optional displacement" process which occurs once every six months. Normally, the "invisible hand" of seniority tends to place the highest men on the best jobs, and the lowest men on the worst jobs. But there are occasions when, during these six-month gaps, a low man may be able to bid and hold a good job for a while, due to retirements, transfers, disability, firings, etc. etc. The optional displacement process is the "market correction", if you will, and allows a senior man to bump that lower guy.

Movement on optionals seems to go in waves. One round, everyone stays where they are; the next, everyone and their mother moves around. And so on, and so forth. Sounds like you encountered a round where lots of people moved around.
  by traingirl22

Thanks for the welcome...

I actually take the commuter rail (purple line) from the burbs to Boston MA every day. I am on the Franklin line (495). We had the same conductors for months who were amazing, friendly, fun, and basically just made our commute so much more tolerable. It is not always easy to commute 2 hours a day and stay sane with some of the random people on board! Our conductors now are terrible! They are not friendly and pretty much down right miserable! You can tell they do not want to be on the train they are on, which makes for a very painful commute!

I did hear that conductors usually work the North or the South side depending on where they live, is this true? Is it at all possible to find out where our old conductors were placed too? I think it is so important to thank them for there service, I however do not want to look like a creep asking where these people went too. I know it is not always easy to work with the public but when you have certain people who are made for a public job like a conductor it is important that they know some people appreciate what they do. I know I can call or email about service but I am unsure if they actually tell these people so I would like to thank them in person.
  by truck6018

You never know when you are going to be bumped. It could happen anytime. The only person guaranteed not to get bumped is the #1 person on the roster. That does not mean that he will never have to make a bump, if that job gets abolished then he exercises his seniority and bumps someone else.

You new conductor said this is her shift "for the time being". That means that until she gets bumped again (or bids a new job) this is her job (or shift).

On Metro North there are sometimes new crew picks to correspond with new timetables going into effect. Being there is due to be a timetable change next month there may be new job picks.
  by traingirl22

EricL wrote:Seniority moves, or bumps, are liable to happen at any time for various and sundry reasons. On Amtrak in particular - and maybe other roads - the conductors' and engineers' union contracts provide for an "optional displacement" process which occurs once every six months. Normally, the "invisible hand" of seniority tends to place the highest men on the best jobs, and the lowest men on the worst jobs. But there are occasions when, during these six-month gaps, a low man may be able to bid and hold a good job for a while, due to retirements, transfers, disability, firings, etc. etc. The optional displacement process is the "market correction", if you will, and allows a senior man to bump that lower guy.

Movement on optionals seems to go in waves. One round, everyone stays where they are; the next, everyone and their mother moves around. And so on, and so forth. Sounds like you encountered a round where lots of people moved around.

Thanks!
  by AEM7AC920

traingirl22 wrote:Thanks for the welcome...

I actually take the commuter rail (purple line) from the burbs to Boston MA every day. I am on the Franklin line (495). We had the same conductors for months who were amazing, friendly, fun, and basically just made our commute so much more tolerable. It is not always easy to commute 2 hours a day and stay sane with some of the random people on board! Our conductors now are terrible! They are not friendly and pretty much down right miserable! You can tell they do not want to be on the train they are on, which makes for a very painful commute!

I did hear that conductors usually work the North or the South side depending on where they live, is this true? Is it at all possible to find out where our old conductors were placed too? I think it is so important to thank them for there service, I however do not want to look like a creep asking where these people went too. I know it is not always easy to work with the public but when you have certain people who are made for a public job like a conductor it is important that they know some people appreciate what they do. I know I can call or email about service but I am unsure if they actually tell these people so I would like to thank them in person.
Since I work for the company you are talking about I will say a few conductors are coming back from injury as well as a few retirements so some of us are moving around...
  by traingirl22

AEM7AC920 wrote:

Since I work for the company you are talking about I will say a few conductors are coming back from injury as well as a few retirements so some of us are moving around...
Thank you so much for your response.. Such a bummer that everyone seems to be moving..
  by Gadfly

traingirl22 wrote:
AEM7AC920 wrote:

Thank you so much for your response.. Such a bummer that everyone seems to be moving..
It's just part of the railroad! Part of the unsettled lifestyle, part of the disruptions that must be adjusted to! If you stay on the railroad, you'll end up getting "bumped", or displaced for years to come. Back in the day, the company would abolish jobs after "the cutworm" came in in his shiny suit. These were so-called "efficiency experts" that usually were ex-clerks that won promotion by sucking up harder than a Hoover vac! We knew we'd soon see abolishments on the bulletin board shortly after he sat at the waybill "cubby" shuffling and thumbing thru waybills. That would start a "roll" from the Freight house, maybe into the Yard office, even down to the Extra board. Took a couple of weeks for it to settle down! Sometimes it was very disheartening to finally get onto a "decent" slot with decent hours and rest days only to get knocked off it by a "roll" and back onto 3rd or 2nd trick Yard or Extra Board. Them wuz the days........NOT! :)

GF
  by traingirl22

Thanks for the response.. I never would have thought that life on the railroad was so unsettled. I guess I am just blinded by working my normal 8am to 4pm job. I think sometimes we (commuters) don't realize that your jobs on the rail are much harder than they look. Between safety, crazy hours, and dealing with commuters (which we all know is not an easy task haha, I have a blog I write every day about the people I encounter) I commend all of you and the work you do. I deal with law students and lawyers all day, I thought that was bad but clearly you all need gold metals for what you put up with! Thank you for all you do..
  by truck6018

traingirl22 wrote:Thanks for the response.. I never would have thought that life on the railroad was so unsettled. I guess I am just blinded by working my normal 8am to 4pm job. I think sometimes we (commuters) don't realize that your jobs on the rail are much harder than they look. Between safety, crazy hours, and dealing with commuters (which we all know is not an easy task haha, I have a blog I write every day about the people I encounter) I commend all of you and the work you do. I deal with law students and lawyers all day, I thought that was bad but clearly you all need gold metals for what you put up with! Thank you for all you do..
Many don't understand. They just take for granted their 9-5, Mon-Fri job with holidays off who are so quick to criticize the perks some railroads have to offer such as pay and pensions. They don't realize railroaders hours can change without notice. Our rest days can change with out notice. There are no holidays unless it happens to fall on a rest day. We miss countless birthdays, anniversaries and children opening up their presents on Christmas Day.

Most wouldn't even begin to comprehend what it's about until they live through it (or at least lives with someone who does). This is the very reason that the divorce rate amongst railroaders is high.
  by traingirl22

truck6018 wrote:
traingirl22 wrote:Thanks for the response.. I never would have thought that life on the railroad was so unsettled. I guess I am just blinded by working my normal 8am to 4pm job. I think sometimes we (commuters) don't realize that your jobs on the rail are much harder than they look. Between safety, crazy hours, and dealing with commuters (which we all know is not an easy task haha, I have a blog I write every day about the people I encounter) I commend all of you and the work you do. I deal with law students and lawyers all day, I thought that was bad but clearly you all need gold metals for what you put up with! Thank you for all you do..
Many don't understand. They just take for granted their 9-5, Mon-Fri job with holidays off who are so quick to criticize the perks some railroads have to offer such as pay and pensions. They don't realize railroaders hours can change without notice. Our rest days can change with out notice. There are no holidays unless it happens to fall on a rest day. We miss countless birthdays, anniversaries and children opening up their presents on Christmas Day.

Most wouldn't even begin to comprehend what it's about until they live through it (or at least lives with someone who does). This is the very reason that the divorce rate amongst railroaders is high.
I honestly did not understand until I read what you had to say. For us who have set jobs and schedules we do take things for granted. I think it is important that you are paid well for the job you do, clearly it is not easy at all. I don't think I could handle being so unsettled. I never even thought of the divorce rate in your field. It is actally really interesting because I work in the legal field where divorce rate is also very high. Unless people have a clear understanding of what goes on no one should critize the perks or pay rate, that is my opnion of course.
  by Gadfly

Most wouldn't even begin to comprehend what it's about until they live through it (or at least lives with someone who does). This is the very reason that the divorce rate amongst railroaders is high.[/quote]

I honestly did not understand until I read what you had to say. For us who have set jobs and schedules we do take things for granted. I think it is important that you are paid well for the job you do, clearly it is not easy at all. I don't think I could handle being so unsettled. I never even thought of the divorce rate in your field. It is actally really interesting because I work in the legal field where divorce rate is also very high. Unless people have a clear understanding of what goes on no one should critize the perks or pay rate, that is my opnion of course.[/quote]

Thanks for the response.. I never would have thought that life on the railroad was so unsettled. I guess I am just blinded by working my normal 8am to 4pm job. I think sometimes we (commuters) don't realize that your jobs on the rail are much harder than they look. Between safety, crazy hours, and dealing with commuters (which we all know is not an easy task haha, I have a blog I write every day about the people I encounter) I commend all of you and the work you do. I deal with law students and lawyers all day, I thought that was bad but clearly you all need gold metals for what you put up with! Thank you for all you do..[/quote]

This is very true. There is this assumption that EVERYBODY on the railroad "drives" trains (I never understood, nor do I like the term; HOW do you "drive" a train? There's no steering wheel!) There's also the "100 days" rule where one had to get in 100 days each year to qualify for vacation, personal leave, etc. If you got cut off (which happened almost every Christmas) and didn't get called back in time to qualify for your vacation (didn't get in a minimum of 100 days, you would LOSE your vacation for that year. If you qualified for your vacation the following year, you could take it. You didn't "lose" it, you just couldn't take it for THAT year in which you didn't get 100 days. I knew some people who DIDN'T get their 100 days and got no vacation for that year. It also affects your retirement date, too since you must have 360 calender months in order to retire. Then there's wild hours, the fear of getting put out of service (disciplinary time)---which occurred all too often. Its staying UP 24 hours on Thanksgiving Day so you can eat a meal with your family, then reporting to work at 8 PM to load baggage on the passenger trains, clean toilets, run crews, and keep paper in the printer shanties. But most of the trains were "annulled", the yard was quiet, and there were only a few of us around. I had one holiday like that where I made $360 for ONE night counting my regular pay and working at time and a half for holidays! Kinda made up for it.

The clerks didn't run trains, but they were out there [handling[/i] trains, cutting waybills, walking the yards and doing a variety of jobs the public doesn't imagine. It is a very disruptive life and takes a certain kind of person to put up with it. Railroad people are not automatically "railfans" as some of us think! We are mostly professional people, mostly blue collar, doing a very precise, dangerous job to move freight and passengers. There are a myriad of jobs on the railroad that doesn't necessarily mean that they are directly involved with the trains themselves. Many times the work, while not always "hard" in the strictest sense, is difficult, complex and dangerous. It is the lifestyle the employees endure that the public doesn't understand; they cling to this notion of 9-5, with Sat-Sun off, and going to Gram's on Sunday for dinner. Many people (and that includes many so-called "foamers") could not stand it, and quickly become dissolutioned with it, even bitter.

It's easier to look BACK, than it is to experience the railroad life! But I am thankful that I did it, sometimes wonder where it went, and even, at times, dream about being in some Yard office shuffling waybills or handing up orders, and wake up tired as if I had worked an entire shift. But it is NICE when that check comes each month and I can go and do whatever I please, when I please. A few years ago,that wasn't possible!!!!! No matter how much I hated it, nor how much I miss it (at times), I don't think you ever get it out of your system. I think its kinda like being branded.

GF
  by CSX Conductor

traingirl22 wrote:I honestly did not understand until I read what you had to say. For us who have set jobs and schedules we do take things for granted. I think it is important that you are paid well for the job you do, clearly it is not easy at all. I don't think I could handle being so unsettled. I never even thought of the divorce rate in your field. It is actally really interesting because I work in the legal field where divorce rate is also very high. Unless people have a clear understanding of what goes on no one should critize the perks or pay rate, that is my opnion of course.
Yes, it is true that the railroad can wreck many relationships/marriages. It's a totally different animal from "bankers hours". Another thing many forget is that many railroaders are subjected to working in all 4 seasons, especially in the harsh New England winters. For example, your train outta Franklin/Forge Park could be delayed on a cold day a few days after a snow fall and you may not understand it's because the crew is struggling to unpack snow which has kicked-up under the train and has frozen the knuckles and cut-levers, and angle cocks. Working freight as a conductor I experienced alot of bad weather, and many people never understood even a % of what I went through. Even now in passenger service it can be very demanding, whether in the body of the train as a conductor, or on the headend as the engineer.

Btw, Welcome to the forums TrainGirl22.
  by traingirl22

CSX Conductor wrote:
traingirl22 wrote:I honestly did not understand until I read what you had to say. For us who have set jobs and schedules we do take things for granted. I think it is important that you are paid well for the job you do, clearly it is not easy at all. I don't think I could handle being so unsettled. I never even thought of the divorce rate in your field. It is actally really interesting because I work in the legal field where divorce rate is also very high. Unless people have a clear understanding of what goes on no one should critize the perks or pay rate, that is my opnion of course.
Yes, it is true that the railroad can wreck many relationships/marriages. It's a totally different animal from "bankers hours". Another thing many forget is that many railroaders are subjected to working in all 4 seasons, especially in the harsh New England winters. For example, your train outta Franklin/Forge Park could be delayed on a cold day a few days after a snow fall and you may not understand it's because the crew is struggling to unpack snow which has kicked-up under the train and has frozen the knuckles and cut-levers, and angle cocks. Working freight as a conductor I experienced alot of bad weather, and many people never understood even a % of what I went through. Even now in passenger service it can be very demanding, whether in the body of the train as a conductor, or on the headend as the engineer.

Btw, Welcome to the forums TrainGirl22.
Thanks for the welcome! I used to browse though here all the time and then after our conductors got bumped for whatever reason I decided to post so I had to make an account. I have always loved trains.. What rail do you work for CSX? Amtrack, MBCR?
I am glad I know a bit more about why we have delays and such. I used to get so upset when I was late for work when the weather was bad, now I have a much better understanding. I feel bad for all the ranting I used to do when we were late. Between the people you have to deal with, which I know is not an easy task and all the safety things you have a ton going on in a day. I think you all deserve a gold metal for all you have to go though.

I do wish they would bring back our conductors on the Franklin line though.. They are missed!!! I feel like a stalker I am always looking for one of them in South Station to find out where they have been placed.