Railroad Forums 

• Portsmouth Branch Activity

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1602671  by MECFAN

I didn't see the DODX car in Portsmouth this morning, just the power at the garage plus 4 Boise and the usual Tyco's.
There are 4 Boise loads on the bottom of the Boise spur and I'd bet the propane loads are on the Schiller runaround.
The brushcutter is working north of Gosling road today so I'm guessing all that will be spotted later today.
 #1604575  by MECFAN

An outside contractor has been working on the Great bay trestle on the Portsmouth branch for a couple of weeks now. They have staged their gear at Rockingham Junction.
This morning I watched them load some big timbers on their Hi rail boom truck which also had a small attached to it. They then proceeded to back down to the trestle, this was around 11:00 am.
 #1604577  by codasd

I wonder if this is TLC/regular maintenance or if the weight limit can be increased to 286K?
 #1607089  by Jonathan603

Seems like the work on the trestle has been going on for some time. Still lots of equipment being stationed at Rockingham junction. Taken a few drives down Depot road and see flood lighting out there at night.
 #1607334  by Jonathan603

Does anyone know if DO-1 made a run to PNSY today? I saw the train at the yard and some DOT workers on the bridge and a track car on the rails on the Kittery side but I left before I saw any movements.
 #1607420  by neman2

Always like the guy who is too important to follow safety rules and wear a safety vest or glasses and carries his hard hat under his arm.
 #1613429  by MECFAN

CSX rail train dropping CWR on the Portsmouth branch today. Caught them at Bayside station around 3:00 PM today. They had Three 1500 foot strings left to drop.
 #1613450  by johnpbarlow

Photographic evidence posted on CSX Northern New England FaceBook page shows the CWR being dropped between Rockingham Jct and Portsmouth to be ex-B&O 122 lb rail from Bethlehem Lackawanna circa 1977 and Thyssen circa 1995.
 #1613461  by F74265A

True, but they are moving LPG. Given the work here and reportedly down by Salem where they deliver sulphuric acid, CSX is not willing to risk derailing hazardous products. If the customers were all lumber and C&D, I’m pretty sure old rail with a few new ties for a solid 10mph is all they would do.

122lb Beth-Lack rail is presently in place in spots on the CSX Metropolitan subdivision mainline near Washington DC where I presently live. Some very heavy coal trains travel 40-50 mph on it