Railroad Forums 

• Portsmouth Branch Activity

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1580075  by Jonathan603

Yes. Was great to see this one! 5972 brought them to Portsmouth yard during the night. Unfortunately 5972 wouldn't start this morning so 504 and 326 brought it over to the double track in Kittery where the Navy switcher met it.

Can't wait to see peoples photos of it crossing the bridge. I couldn't find parking so got some video and pictures of it in Kittery. Will upload to my YT channel later today.
 #1580078  by fromway

I found a website showing activity of the Portsmouth NH Memorial Bridge being lowered so that the cars can be move over the river to KIttery. Interesting to see the bridge lowered and then raised. It starts around 10:30 AM. I could not see the rail activity but interesting to see the bridge lowered and then raised back up.
 #1580090  by MaineCoonCat

fromway wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 4:14 pm I found a website showing activity of the Portsmouth NH Memorial Bridge being lowered so that the cars can be move over the river to KIttery.
Do you mean the Sarah Mildred Long bridge? I'd sure be interested in seeing that.
 #1580115  by fromway

The website to get a look at the bridge activity is as follows: portsmouthwebcam.com. Once you get there go to the TUGBOAT cam. There are multiple looks at the bridge. Go to the second look and click on the activity for 9/09,. The bridge activity is around 1030AM. Good LUck
 #1580119  by Jonathan603

Does anyone know what time the locomotives made it back over the river to Portsmouth yesterday?

Also, does anyone know what happened to the caboose? I presume they left it in the yard yesterday when they headed to PNSY but I didn't see it there yesterday afternoon.
 #1580175  by arthur d.

MaineCoonCat wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 7:23 pm Do you mean the Sarah Mildred Long bridge?
He does. It should be a memorial bridge named in honor of the B&M crew that was lost during the construction of the previous incarnation of the bridge, when the existing bridge collapsed under engine 3666.
 #1580492  by arthur d.

There must have been much to do in the city today. Road traffic was light and the wind was favorable as the local could be heard clearing the crossing at Rte 33 and Portsmouth avenue respectively, around 2045 hrs., Wednesday.
 #1582203  by Jonathan603

No I don't think it will! Maybe the residents will realize one day... ya buy a house next to a rail yard... ya might hear trains....

Aside from this, a couple of track cars, one CSX and one PanAm were in Kittery today. The CSX one looked like it was fitted with cameras pointing in all directions. They reversed from State street back to the bridge and then headed to the Navy Yard. If I get to it I will post some pictures on NERAIL later tonight.