• NEW HIRE HOUSTON PAY

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by dglenns87

Hi I just got hired by union pacific and waiting for my training class to start I know I get 125 a day during training, but im still unclear on how your pay works when you start working ive researched and seen guys say 3900 every two weeks 3000 every two weeks but they dont break it down. So if you can take the time to break down how the pay works and what I can expect to be doing after training id really appreciate it . Also if you can break down how the extra board works that would be awesome. Thanks
  by COEN77

I'm guessing your asking about a conductors pay. It's a wide range from $0 on up. There isn't a bi-weekly set figure except possibly a yard job working 5 days a week without overtime. The figures you posted are most likely for road service. Everything is based on seniority and business. Extra boards protect and fill in for vacancies on jobs when a regular assigned person is on vacation, has a doctor appointment, sick ect....unless there is some form of gaurentee pay for the extra boards which not sure if UP has them it's a system of "feast or famine". A person could work a lot or sit around for days waiting to work. I'm sure someone from the UP can answer that question. Remember being low man in seniority doesn't get the preferred jobs. It could take years to hold down a decent job. During my railroad career I never cared about what someone else made only one that counted was me. I've witnessed mindless envy when others were jealous of anothers earnings. The railroad is all about the individual how aggressive one wants to be. This applies to all railroads.
  by dglenns87

Thanks a lot I appreciate the reply. Now do the extra board guys get work often cause they were telling us wed be lucky to get 1 day off a week how about your yard do your extra guys get decent amount of work. How does the pay work while on the road is it by mile by job how do they calculate the earnings when on the road THANKS
  by COEN77

You can expect summers on the extra board to be real busy during vacation season. Depends on how loaded the extra boards are one could get out right on their rest. That goes for both yard & road.