Railroad Forums 

• Sprinter ACS-64 Electric Loco: Siemens.

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#865497  by DutchRailnut

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases ... 56093.html

Improved performance and reliability for Northeast passenger rail services

SACRAMENTO, Calif., Oct. 28 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- As part of a comprehensive plan to modernize and expand its fleet of equipment, Amtrak is buying 70 new electric locomotives to provide improved performance and reliability for its Northeast intercity passenger rail services. The six-year, $466 million contract was awarded to Siemens and will create 250 jobs primarily at a facility in Sacramento, California, but also at plants in Norwood, Ohio and Alpharetta, Georgia.

(Photo: http://photos.prnewswire.com/prnh/20101028/DC91282)

(Photo: http://www.newscom.com/cgi-bin/prnh/20101028/DC91282)

"Amtrak is a critical transportation provider in the Northeast and modern locomotives are essential to meet the service reliability expectations of our passengers and for us to handle the growing ridership demand in the coming years," said President and CEO Joseph Boardman.

Boardman explained the first Amtrak Cities Sprinter ACS-64 electric locomotive is to be delivered in February 2013 and will operate at speeds up to 125 mph (201 kph) on the Northeast Corridor from Washington, D.C. to Boston and up to 110 mph (177 kph) on the Keystone Corridor from Philadelphia to Harrisburg, Pa. They will replace locomotives in service between 20 and 30 years with average mileage of 3.5 million miles traveled.

"Amtrak's order for 70 new electric locomotives will not only create new manufacturing jobs, it supports the Department of Transportation's strategy to use transportation to build the infrastructure needed to support a modern growing economy, while helping make our cities more livable, improve the environment and reduce our dependence on foreign oil," said Joseph C. Szabo, Federal Railroad Administrator. "This new equipment will go far in meeting the rapidly growing demand for intercity passenger rail service in the Northeast."

etc etc etc
 #865519  by AEM7AC920

Funny I know the pic is just an early one but kinda looks like a cross between an HHP-8 and ALP-46 :-)
 #865524  by LIRR272

The units will probably never look like what is in the drawing. Well say good bye to the HHP-8 since all of them will be gone along with some of the AEM-7 units. Better start taking pictures soon.
 #865527  by Matt Johnson

LIRR272 wrote: Well say good bye to the HHP-8 since all of them will be gone along with some of the AEM-7 units. Better start taking pictures soon.
The HHP-8's will be the last to go, but yeah, Amtrak stated in one of its recent fleet strategy documents that they would be replaced due to poor reliability and the economic advantage of replacing the entire electric fleet at once with a single type. But that document also discussed the possibility of converting some of the HHP-8's into Acela Express locomotives for new Acela trainsets. I think that's probably a long shot, but you never know...
 #865532  by Mike77E9

It sure looks like they are buying proven technology - this is the FRA compliant version of the EuroSprinter, which there are 1,000's of across Europe and Asia. I sure can't wait to see these come flying through NJ! :-D
 #865544  by amtrakowitz

LIRR272 wrote:The units will probably never look like what is in the drawing
If they don't change the Amtrak logos in the near future, then they will certainly look very close to that appearance, given that it is an established Eurosprinter likeness.
Matt Johnson wrote:The HHP-8's will be the last to go, but yeah, Amtrak stated in one of its recent fleet strategy documents that they would be replaced due to poor reliability and the economic advantage of replacing the entire electric fleet at once with a single type. But that document also discussed the possibility of converting some of the HHP-8s into Acela Express locomotives for new Acela trainsets
They seem to put a lot of odd stuff into their fleet strategy documents in that case. Then again, Amtrak burns through motive power quickly (E60s at 27 years old or so, F40PHs 26 years, P30CHs 18 years, SDP40Fs 12 years)...
 #865553  by Jersey_Mike

WTF Amtrak was actually serious about buying new locomotives??? Where the hell did they get all this money?!?! It's like NJT syndrome replacing equipment just because someone drops off a catalog. Those AEM-7AC's and their Budd built shells would have been good for another 20 years as I think that Sweeden hasn't even begun to scrap its older Rc units that the AEM-7 was based on. The NEC ain't right if it isn't running on Americanized toaster power.
 #865558  by SantaFe5811

Jersey_Mike wrote:It's like NJT syndrome replacing equipment just because someone drops off a catalog.
LMAO!! Well put, I love it! :-D

Cross referencing the AEM-7AC's and their NJT counterparts - the ALP44M, are Amtrak having serious issues with the AEM7's?

I look forward to seeing what Bombardier do with these new locos. Nearly all of our commuter equipment in Australia is Bombardier and works great (after 2 years of sorting out the bugs). So once the first toaster is delivered in 2013, wait until 2015 for full reliability to kick in! ,
 #865563  by catch

Funny (and questionable) news...
SIE did not make any FRA complient loco by themselfes...did they every make TIER or FRA complient self propellered , heavy powered vehicles? )OK..they were propulsion suplir to EMD for a longer time..but no locos...please correct me, if I'm wrong) and I'm really wonder, if they really have sold a specification compliant system.

And, I'm also really wondering about the truthfully behavior of the state authorities...spending such a lot of money (tax payers money....right?) to a ompany, which makes big busines with Iran on many levels...communication technics (to get info about state enemies...) diesel locos (for transporting Uran?) and what's about the not stopping dicsussion about SIE historie in the 1933-45??

All of these (maybe not complete list) is now with NO interest? Oh...moral is below money......
For me, a very bad picture showing to outside....

So, lets have fun with Vectron
 #865571  by .Taurus.

Any details about the contract or about engine details : the concept drawing shows only one (!) cab. Error of the artist or ordered by Amtrak ?
 #865587  by Jersey_Mike

I guess its understandable that Amtrak must replace rolling when the political winds allow them funding to do so, but there were years left in those AEM'7s and the combination of AESA, EMD and Budd resulted in an engine that is reliable, rugged and just won't quit. Hell I think they even look good and the compact size makes the performance all the more impressive. If it weren't for their unreliable budgeting process I'll bet Amtrak could have held onto at least the AC's for a total of 40 or 50 years like the GG-1's before them.

The more important question is what sort of shape will Amtrak's AEM's and HHP-8s be left in when they are retired and who might be able to use them. With both NJT and Amtrak shedding electric locomotives well before their time I almost feel that we need to electrify more lines to be able to properly utilize our existing investment in rolling stock. I am sure parts from the DC's will go to SEPTA and MARC to keep their classic AEM-7's rolling for the full 40, but will MARC seize the initiative and take over enough units to dump diesel operation from the NEC entirely? How many electrics would the MBTA need to dump diesels from the Providence Line? In both those cases if Amtrak is over charging for electric power could someone from the Obama Administration give Amtrak a little dope slap telling them to stop?
 #865599  by Nasadowsk

Snowmobiles, Inc lost another one? Wow.

The '46A by all accounts seems to be an excellent unit. Will Siemens deliver too? Probbably. Will we get the neat startup noises of the Euro version? Hope so.

Bigger Qs:

* Weight (200,000 lbs?)
* Power (6000kw, 6400kw, ????kw)
* Inverter tech (Ok, IGBT, what else?)
* HEP capacity (1 MVA?)
* What silly classification Amtrak comes up with for the next order ;)

(ACS 64? Amtrak City Sprinter 6000kw, 4 axles, or 6400kw? Here's hoping it's the latter....)

As for the artists drawing? Ever see the early ones for the AEM-7?