Railroad Forums 

• Chicago/Milwaukee traction model railroad

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#805922  by jlaroccoii

CSS&SB702;
Just a general question. I have two brass #23 coaches that are yet to be painted. I don't know if either of them had the "railroad" or "line" herald? But, for the most part I was wondering if anyone knew how many had the "railroad" herald on them upon retirement.

Like I had said, I forgot they even had a differant herald to begin with till I saw #15 in Elkhart. By the way, would you happen to know when they applied the "little train that could" decal on the sides? One source said late 60's and another said mid 70's. Which is right?

I'm modeling the mid nineteen-seventies so I can have the Geeps, 800 class and 700 class on my layout.
 #806078  by dinwitty

The little train that could I dont think happenned till the 70's, when its operation was getting threatened for abandonment.
 #806163  by jlaroccoii

Yeah, its always something. By the way, hows the layout coming? Any new pics?

In any event, I'm modeling the era that I remember as a kid. For me there's a lot of differant equipment. Even if some of it is former Chessie stuff. :)
 #806247  by Tadman

Probably makes life easy - the Chessie is much easier to get models of than CSS. Your geeps are taken care of.
 #806430  by dinwitty

jlaroccoii wrote:Yeah, its always something. By the way, hows the layout coming? Any new pics?

In any event, I'm modeling the era that I remember as a kid. For me there's a lot of differant equipment. Even if some of it is former Chessie stuff. :)
The layout has come along, I am working on the Milwaukee section, I have a working test loop for the North Shore, having some fun spinning the Con Cor electroliner around.

pics later, the South Shore part is on hold, the test loop I made for the MC module will be converted to my N&W/Virginian section while I later seriously build the South Shore part correctly.

Most of my operable equpiment is sitting on the Milwaukee section and its going to build down to Chicago, and I'll run my stuff down to it when built.
 #806813  by dinwitty

you are looking at the upper North Shore loop which is essentailly the 6th street viaduct, but it does some unprototypical things like winding over near the original Milwaukee road depot which is in the background, things you have to do to make things fit. The yard below is the Milw yard, it curves off and there is a carfloat at the end (Walthers) The North Shore depot is to the right just out of the picture.
The work is preliminary testing for fit but the loop runs and so does the Liner.

All the upper loop structure will be replaced with proper viaduct construction.

this is where the North Shore depot and trackage works, I decided on representing the early trackwork when the Milwaukee streetcars were running even tho I represent the 50's, its a throwforard that de-abandons the streetcar lines, like I am doing for abandoned Narrow Gauge for the N&W line.
This lets me run some streetcars around and makes the loop practical for operation, as the CTA chicago loops, it can loop here for a kick back continuous run.
Then for serious operation, you can do that.

this is OT for this thread but we do that sometimes...
 #807310  by jlaroccoii

I know we are way off topic, but how big of a layout are you running? In any event it looks cool so far. All I need now is a bigger house. I even got the wifes blessing for the future layout in the new home. When we get it, that is. :))
 #807743  by dinwitty

it is roughly 12x14 the area is just enough for dogbone loops with a walkin area, I am multi-levels trying to maximize the small area use, 3 percent grades or heavier, 20 car trains norm max by design (passing sidings only fit or certain interchange points.) and imagine fitting multi-railroads into this. It may turn into slight spaghetti factory looks, but my goal is the train action trying to fit best, make a prototypical scene yet it all fits correctly operationally in the restricted space. Quite a challenge, its using all my experience on this having been in a club, I try to max all the flavors into it.