• B&P Erie to Corry

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

by Randy Earle

Anyone know if the B&P is still running trains on the line from Erie to Corry Pa?
  by Aa3rt

Mr. Earle-I've taken the liberty of moving your post to the Pennsylvania Railfan forum where it will hopefully receive more exposure.

I grew up in Warren County not far from this line but can't advise of the current status.
  by EMTRailfan

Randy Earle wrote:Anyone know if the B&P is still running trains on the line from Erie to Corry Pa?
They usually run Tuesdays and Thursdays out of Warren, PA. I think they're on duty at 0700 or so.
  by pablo

I asked this question previously and was told that they are indeed going to Erie. They are very busy in town here, so it wouldn't surprise me if they went once to Erie and spent the other day shuffling around Warren.

Dave Becker
  by Randy Earle

Thanks, I grew up in Harbor Creek, but now live in Ohio. I rode the line from Corry to Erie with my Grandmother back in the 1950s. I've heard there's a business in Corry that paints locomotives for General Electric and they use the line to transport them.
  by pablo

I believe that company was named Thunderport, and they have ceased business. All that was in that building is now gone...and has been since about 2002, give or take.

Dave Becker
  by EMTRailfan

pablo wrote:I asked this question previously and was told that they are indeed going to Erie. They are very busy in town here, so it wouldn't surprise me if they went once to Erie and spent the other day shuffling around Warren.

Dave Becker
Understand that nothing is set in stone, but the norm is that the day crew switches the Warren customers through the day M-W-F and goes to Erie and back on T-R. The Waren customers are United Refinery, Warren Rail Car, the juice company that escapes me, and Elwood National Forge in Irvine. They then build the EB train and air it up. In the evenings, the eastbound leaves Warren to Jburg around 1830 5 or 6 nites/week.
  by pablo

Don't forget the plastics company, either.

Dave Becker
  by thebigham

Randy Earle wrote:Anyone know if the B&P is still running trains on the line from Erie to Corry Pa?
Of course they are. Why wouldn't they be running trains?
  by Randy Earle

I just asked.

Last time I was near the line in Brookside and Waterford the tracks were rusty.
  by pablo

Yesterday I was in Erie, and along the Bayfront Connectro, the tracks come down "out of the hills" and run alongside.

There was a very active "B&P" Transload facility there, and while there was a bit of greenery between the rails here and there, it appears to most definitely be active.

Dave Becker
  by Schaffner

I just saw an interesting update to this post the other day, 11/23/09. I started off the day in Corry and I heard a rare Monday morning train approaching on the B&P. It turned out to be one light engine. I got up to Erie right after it came down the hill, around the "horseshoe" and I heard it crossing McClelland Ave. I while later I was driving down the Bayfront just past Broad Street, and I encountered the engine and a depressed center flat with a HUGE box that looked like a transformer on it. I don't know if this was a single high and wide shipment, or if there will be more of these soon. Does anyone else know?
  by Aa3rt

You're correct-the load on the flat car was a transformer destined for the power plant at the Kinzua Dam. The transformer was offloaded to a heavy duty truck in Clarendon behind Fox & Sons Excavating. I believe this was a "one time" move.

More information from the Warren Times-Observer:

http://www.timesobserver.com/page/conte ... l?nav=5006

Note: There were some links to photos of the one car train posted at the Allegheny and B&P Yahoo Groups.