• % of men retiring.

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by Aji-tater

Hey Controlled Speed, why stop with jobs? Old people live in houses that younger guys would like, drive cars to "pollute the air", eat up food that could feed the poor. Why not just shoot everybody once they reach 60?

I have outside interests so when I retire - at whatever age it might be - I'll focus on other things. But yes, there certainly are guys who have built their whole life on their job. Like somebody said, maybe their wife died, maybe they never had kids, whatever, but the routine of the job was important to them. And when they had to leave, they could not deal with it and died. Stessful events can affect our health - divorce, death of loved ones, catastrophy like a tornado wiping out your home. For someone who built his whole life on his job, or maybe the job is the only thing he has left, having to leave CAN cause health problems or death.

What's more disturbing to me personally is your attitude that the older guys somehow OWE it to leave so others can work. Why should anybody base HIS life's decisions on what somebody else wants him to do? What makes your generation more important than the one ahead of you? If a given man wants to work until he's 65 (or even longer if he's willing to give up his supplemental) and if he's not a hazard to himself and others, why should he be forced to quit so somebody else can move up? That's the way it works - you work a long time, you get seniority, you can hold jobs you want, and you stay as long as you want as long as you are able to do so.

There's nothing wrong with wishing somebody would leave, I can remember being #119 on a roster and figuring I'd never get whiskers. But to advocate that older guys are somehow screwing the newer men shows you really don't understand how it works. Be glad this isn't 50 years ago or one of those cranky 65-year old conductors might wrap a brake club around your head.

by COEN77

Mabey he should be more gung-ho on learning the job first before worrying about the day he'll take over our slots. I've never worried about wether someone wants to work beyond retirement age, that is their choice. I've seen the 2-3% who work longer and they do worry about health issues ect....I remember back in the '80s an early '90s several railroaders retired and died within 6 months that affected alot of oldheads that were just a few years from retiring and some of those stayed working longer. Aji-tater is absolutely correct it may be personal reasons it definitely is nobodies business but their own.

by bigdaddy

this might be a little off topic.

i started working for the rr at 43.
if i retire at 60 i will have 17 yrs in. will it make a big difference in retirement dollars if i work until i am 63 to get 20 yrs in?

i guess what i am asking is does rr retirement go by yearly percentages, or in 5 or 10 yr increments

by Controlled Speed

cifn2 wrote:
Controlled Speed wrote:
Aji-tater wrote:Looking at it strictly from a financial point of view Amtrakhogger is correct about working for a lot less. But as far as not understanding why some guys don't go, that's easy. They want to keep working. Maybe they enjoy the job (even though they may bitch and bellyache) or maybe they have a fear of change. Maybe their wife is under Social Security and has a couple years more to work, and he does not want to sit home retired while she has to get up every day to work. Ask some of the old heads, almost all of us can look back in our careers to some old guy who was working way past when he could have gone, and when he finally did, died within 6 months or so. Yeah, you could argue if he'd retired earlier he'd have enjoyed more years not working. But in a case or two I recall, I'd bet money that if the guy had kept on working, he would have kept on living too. Whether it's the "romance" of the job or just the routine of doing the work and being needed, for a few guys the job is what keeps them going.
you are high.......I'm sorry to break it to you.....but you do NOT die of a broken heart retiring, and this has to be one of the most stupid things I've ever ever heard.
I work in the medical field.... men who out live their wife have a high chance of death within 6months to 1 year after her death, they have actually done studies
My whole family as well as myself are involved in the medical field and your hypothesis is maybe correct to a marriage......however, we are talking about retirement, so lets not get off topic. YOu DO NOT die from retiring. You go on with your life and live what you got left to your fullest

by COEN77

You have Tier 1 and Tier 2 parts on your retirement, I always get it confused but I think Tier 1 is based on the last 5 years you work and Tier 2 is based on your best 5 years of work. So, you see a lot of railroaders work a lot more their last 5 years for this will affect their retirement earnings. Go to RRB.org and it should explain it. It should also explain when you can retire at full retirement if you don't have the required 360 months paid in to railroad retirement.

by Controlled Speed

Aji-tater wrote:Hey Controlled Speed, why stop with jobs? Old people live in houses that younger guys would like, drive cars to "pollute the air", eat up food that could feed the poor. Why not just shoot everybody once they reach 60?

I have outside interests so when I retire - at whatever age it might be - I'll focus on other things. But yes, there certainly are guys who have built their whole life on their job. Like somebody said, maybe their wife died, maybe they never had kids, whatever, but the routine of the job was important to them. And when they had to leave, they could not deal with it and died. Stessful events can affect our health - divorce, death of loved ones, catastrophy like a tornado wiping out your home. For someone who built his whole life on his job, or maybe the job is the only thing he has left, having to leave CAN cause health problems or death.

What's more disturbing to me personally is your attitude that the older guys somehow OWE it to leave so others can work. Why should anybody base HIS life's decisions on what somebody else wants him to do? What makes your generation more important than the one ahead of you? If a given man wants to work until he's 65 (or even longer if he's willing to give up his supplemental) and if he's not a hazard to himself and others, why should he be forced to quit so somebody else can move up? That's the way it works - you work a long time, you get seniority, you can hold jobs you want, and you stay as long as you want as long as you are able to do so.

There's nothing wrong with wishing somebody would leave, I can remember being #119 on a roster and figuring I'd never get whiskers. But to advocate that older guys are somehow screwing the newer men shows you really don't understand how it works. Be glad this isn't 50 years ago or one of those cranky 65-year old conductors might wrap a brake club around your head.
Your retort is CRAP!

My generation isn't more important, although you pre-85's out there that sold your ass on the corner for what 10 or 20K and then gave up a lot of your rights?

Anyways, back to the subject. Just like old people should get the hell off the road, likewise, old timers should want to retire......while I find your hypothesis valid as far as people having stress and stress causing sickness including death, I have to tell you..........just because your wife dies, does not make it healthier to "work it away"......if you read anything about the grieving process, I'll expect after you do, you'll understand tha acceptance comes with the steps that you go through on your own time.......

Just like addiction, co-dependence, and grief, becoming a workaholic isn't healthy.

We are talking about the only people I ever knew that actually want to stay on a blue collar job instead of taking everything they've earned their whole lives and enjoy themselves. Pathetic and sad at the same time....I feel for those individuals.

Someday, should my wife and family die and I am the only thing left of my family name, you won't find me drowning my sorrows, nor will I be defocusing at work.......and by the way, working in a rail yard or on the road isn't necessarily the best place to defocus, if anything, it is truly self-centered that someone would bring such things to work with them only to pose danger to everyone around them instead of just retiring.

To those who can't retire because they never grew up emotionally, work on your coping skills, see a psychologist maybe......if there is loss, attend a self help or berievement group.

But please move on with your lives the way the healthy majority does. Time to let go if you have the choice because this isn't to those who HAVE to work until 65 to colllect full pension.......this is about unhealthy people obsessed with working.

by Controlled Speed

COEN77 wrote:Mabey he should be more gung-ho on learning the job first before worrying about the day he'll take over our slots. I've never worried about wether someone wants to work beyond retirement age, that is their choice. I've seen the 2-3% who work longer and they do worry about health issues ect....I remember back in the '80s an early '90s several railroaders retired and died within 6 months that affected alot of oldheads that were just a few years from retiring and some of those stayed working longer. Aji-tater is absolutely correct it may be personal reasons it definitely is nobodies business but their own.
That's a cop out.......lets bring into play with your silly retort how all those who die young for the most part as you well know are fatter than cows and their butts spill outta their chairs in the break rooms, eat like shit, don't excercise, drink and smoke heavily, and don't deal with life well...........

Try again.

by cifn2

Controlled Speed wrote:
cifn2 wrote:
Controlled Speed wrote:
Aji-tater wrote:Looking at it strictly from a financial point of view Amtrakhogger is correct about working for a lot less. But as far as not understanding why some guys don't go, that's easy. They want to keep working. Maybe they enjoy the job (even though they may bitch and bellyache) or maybe they have a fear of change. Maybe their wife is under Social Security and has a couple years more to work, and he does not want to sit home retired while she has to get up every day to work. Ask some of the old heads, almost all of us can look back in our careers to some old guy who was working way past when he could have gone, and when he finally did, died within 6 months or so. Yeah, you could argue if he'd retired earlier he'd have enjoyed more years not working. But in a case or two I recall, I'd bet money that if the guy had kept on working, he would have kept on living too. Whether it's the "romance" of the job or just the routine of doing the work and being needed, for a few guys the job is what keeps them going.
you are high.......I'm sorry to break it to you.....but you do NOT die of a broken heart retiring, and this has to be one of the most stupid things I've ever ever heard.
I work in the medical field.... men who out live their wife have a high chance of death within 6months to 1 year after her death, they have actually done studies
My whole family as well as myself are involved in the medical field and your hypothesis is maybe correct to a marriage......however, we are talking about retirement, so lets not get off topic. YOu DO NOT die from retiring. You go on with your life and live what you got left to your fullest
You are involved in the medical field... But somehow the railroad doesn't fall under medical in my books.

by COEN77

Controlled Speed wrote:
COEN77 wrote:Mabey he should be more gung-ho on learning the job first before worrying about the day he'll take over our slots. I've never worried about wether someone wants to work beyond retirement age, that is their choice. I've seen the 2-3% who work longer and they do worry about health issues ect....I remember back in the '80s an early '90s several railroaders retired and died within 6 months that affected alot of oldheads that were just a few years from retiring and some of those stayed working longer. Aji-tater is absolutely correct it may be personal reasons it definitely is nobodies business but their own.
That's a cop out.......lets bring into play with your silly retort how all those who die young for the most part as you well know are fatter than cows and their butts spill outta their chairs in the break rooms, eat like *, don't excercise, drink and smoke heavily, and don't deal with life well...........

Try again.
Cop out???? Apparently you didn't read my response in it's entirety. I stated it's a matter of personal choice and nobodies business rather that persons right to decide what is best for them not you. Your either brainwashed or brain dead your definitely selfish try that for silly retorts as you put it. Not knowing your age but your attitude is one of someone immature this newer generation and that being raised is obese from lack of physical activity sitting around playing Xbox or on computers all day. When I grew up our parents wanted us outside playing and getting excersise and sitting in the house was not an option. I see a lot of newbies that fit your description of their arses hanging off the chair edges, smoking heavily, and don't watch what they eat that's not a phenominon that only occurs in the older generation.

by Aji-tater

The remarks about old people should get off the road gives away his mentality. What is "old"? To a teenager 30 is old. To someone 75, 60 is a kid. There are people 25 or 30 who should not drive and there are some at 75 who are safe as can be. To make such generalities is a mark of ignorance.

For the railroad, bottom line is it's personal choice. Nobody owes it to anybody else to retire at a given time. If you are able to do the work safely and carry your share of the load, you and you alone decide when to call it quits. It's nobody's business. Part of the problem today is too many people trying to tell others how to live - what kind of food, where you can and can't do things.

If he has the same attitude at work as he does here, he won't have to worry about 30-60, some supervisor will tie a can to him long before then. I think the guy's a troll; looking to get a flame war going. I'm not going to waste any more time on him.

by UPRR engineer

I like the older heads. Most of the guys in the middle, between them and me is who i have daggers for. Those are the whiskers i want.

by thebigc

Aji-tater wrote:The remarks about old people should get off the road gives away his mentality. What is "old"? To a teenager 30 is old. To someone 75, 60 is a kid. There are people 25 or 30 who should not drive and there are some at 75 who are safe as can be. To make such generalities is a mark of ignorance.

For the railroad, bottom line is it's personal choice. Nobody owes it to anybody else to retire at a given time. If you are able to do the work safely and carry your share of the load, you and you alone decide when to call it quits. It's nobody's business. Part of the problem today is too many people trying to tell others how to live - what kind of food, where you can and can't do things.

If he has the same attitude at work as he does here, he won't have to worry about 30-60, some supervisor will tie a can to him long before then. I think the guy's a troll; looking to get a flame war going. I'm not going to waste any more time on him.
Nice! Three nails hit on the head with one swing. I could expound on your post in all three facets but you've said it all.

by slchub

bigdaddy,

For the most precise answer to your question, it would behoove you to contact the RRB with your specific questions. They are easy to get a hold of, they get back to you via phone or e-mail usually within 3-4 business days and will have your specific information in front of them when they speak to you. Here is a link to the contact page with the RRB:

http://www.rrb.gov/general/contact_us.asp

by pennsy

Hey Moderator, are you paying attention to the FLAMES going on here ? I would have locked this one up long ago.

by UPRR engineer

News Flash: Thanks to the Mod here in the Employment Forum

The idiot that goes by the name Controlled Speed is the same hoser that went by the name melodic777 before he hired out with CSX a few months ago.
Last edited by UPRR engineer on Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.