• clerk test

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by BoRhyne

i'm about to move from a conductor position to a clerk position and would like to know something about the math test required for clerks. I shouldn't have any trouble with the typing or reading comprehension but i'm not very good at algebra or trig. Does anyone have any idea what kind of math questions are asked? Thank you in advance for any help.

by CSX-COAL HAULER

What-----you sure you want to do that? It will be a big pay cut! We had a employee go from engineer to clerk recently----had to type 25 words per minute-----general math questions----reading and writing---------I believe if you have gotten hired on in the last 10 years you will probably have no problem-----from my understanding it is about like the test you took to get a conductor position? Oh yea---once you make that first PAID day of work-you will loose your conductors seniority----forever! Good luck! :P

by lvrr325

A clerk position is generally 5 days a week, in one place, and has three shifts. Just watch for under-maintained vehicles, if you can scare up a carbon-monoxide detector that's portable, keep it in your kit and use it.

by CSX-COAL HAULER

It sounds like BoRhyne knows what and where a clerk works!!!!! Remember-he is a conductor!

by COEN77

This is a first, I've never heard of someone from another craft becoming a clerk. I know former clerks who became car inspectors, locomotive engineers, conductors ect...mabey not a smart move especially when they have been hit hardest by technology. Nothing wrong with being a clerk wish there was more of them.

by git a holt to it

Can't say that I blame him, 2 months of being forced as an engineer on the road with 30-36 hour round trips has soured me, I'm going back up into the tower. They can keep the extra $600 a half!!!

by COEN77

git a holt to it wrote:Can't say that I blame him, 2 months of being forced as an engineer on the road with 30-36 hour round trips has soured me, I'm going back up into the tower. They can keep the extra $600 a half!!!
I take it as going back to yardmaster. Not a bad move they make good money and you can double or triple, no hours of service law.

by git a holt to it

COEN77 wrote:
git a holt to it wrote:Can't say that I blame him, 2 months of being forced as an engineer on the road with 30-36 hour round trips has soured me, I'm going back up into the tower. They can keep the extra $600 a half!!!
I take it as going back to yardmaster. Not a bad move they make good money and you can double or triple, no hours of service law.
Yup, I shouldn't have gave it up in the first place. Those 16 hour shifts are tough though.