• Restricting v/s Restricted Proceed

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

by Kick'em

What's the difference? Under which circumstances will you see one versus the other. I work in the yard and rarely get a chance to call signals, but I still have to take the test each year. If they both translate in to "Proceed at restricted speed", why not just have one?

by RearOfSignal

Restricting is the name of the signal aspect.
Restricted is the speed one should operate at when passing the restricting signal.

by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

with all restricting signals, you proceed past them....it's Red signals that have number plates on the signal that you have to stop, then proceed at restricted speed in that block untill you get a more favorable signal

up here on teh NEC, i see trains move through Restricted signals

with the Red signals, if you come across a red signal at a CP or Interlocking, you HAVE to stop and remain stopped until the dispatcher tells you what to do

but if you are at a Red signal with a number plate on the signal, like mentioned earlier, you must stop, then proceed past the stop signal at restricted speed
  by amtrakhogger

Restricted Proceed signals keep trains moving without having to stop
and proceed. This is important for large freight trains for 1) it saves
fuel and 2) minimizes brake applications.

Under Norac, the use of a "G" or grade marker on an automatic signal
denotes that for freight trains may proceed as though a restricting signal
were displayed. This is the same concept as restricted proceed.

CSX probably opted just to change the rule rather than modify every
automatic signal with a "G" board or add an extra lamp. A substancial
cost savings.

by Kick'em

I understand the difference between absolute and intermediate, and Grade signals. However, we have 2 different signals, both indicating "Proceed at restricted speed." Nothing about coming to a stop then proceeding, just keep going, but at Res. Speed.

by RearOfSignal

Not sure on CSX, but the restricting signal could mean the engineer should expect to take a siding or to enter a yard or other unbonded track. The restricted proceed signal is like a stop and proceed signal with a grade plate, and has the benefits that amtrakhogger said before and could also mean that the track ahead is occupied but that you can pass at restricted speed, without having to stop.

Stop and proceed (or restricted proceed) can mean that the track ahead is bonded and can convey block occupancy, restricting does not convey block occupancy and can mean the track ahead is unbonded. :wink:

by Railjunkie

The difference between a restricted proceed signal like the ones used on CSX and stop and proceed like in NORAC is you dont have to stop as long as the signal has a number plate. Restricted speed is a method of operation not just the speed speed itself, you must be on the look out for such things as any stop signal, improperly lined switches, derails, other railroad equipment.

by CSX Conductor

Basically most signals that give a Restricted Proceed cannot give you a Restricting.

MBTA F40, AmtrakHogger is correct, on CSXT Operating Rules the train is not required to stop for a Restricted Proceed (their version of a Stop & Proceed). :wink:

by CSX Conductor

I would say that is a Switch Open Signal, because it is marked by a "DS" whereas most Distant Signal markers are only marked with a "D".

Switch Open Signal :wink:

by RearOfSignal

xjqcf wrote:I think what he's asking is why they didn't just lump all the aspects under one rule, since they have identical indications.
CSX Counductor wrote:Basically most signals that give a Restricted Proceed cannot give you a Restricting.
Since restricting and restricted proceed typically aren't seen on the same signal there must be a reason they're two separate aspects despite having the same indication.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but a restricting signal does not convey track occupancy. Only that the track ahead might be obstructed by another train, or broken rail, or misaligned switch, etc. and you should expect to stop short of such.

On the other hand, a stop and proceed or restricted proceed, usually means that the track ahead is occupied and that you may enter that block prepared to stop short of a train ahead of you, even though a broken rail or misalinged track could cause a signal to show stop and proceed or restriced proceed.

by COEN77

Years ago a 'restricted proceed' was a 'stop and proceed' it was a pain when signals were out to stop a loaded 190-200 car coal train (back then it was 50-80 ton hoppers) every mile and a half. When they changed it bounced from one to the other for a few years seeing some people couldn't grasp the concept that there may be an actual reason for that intermediate signal to be 'red' train ahead, broken rail ect...even today some still haven't grasp it. To the one who asked the difference between a 'restricting' and 'restricted proceed' you better study some more they are two different signals even though you might think there meaning is the same, I suggest going back on to the mainline someday you'll be forced in to engine service. Your training will be twice as hard if you don't know just the basics and signals are a big part of railroading.

by 4661en

Restricted proceed is basically a red INTERMEDIATE signal . You will see Restricting on ABSOLUTE signals.

by Newcastletrain

finally a simple and correct answer. good job 4661en. All this hubbub from people who guess when a one line succinct answer does it all.

by jgallaway81

Restricting: Displayed at an Interlocking/Control Point. A train may pass the signal, however the block beyond the opposing home signal may be occupied or have a broken rail, or some other condition requiring restricted speed. Displayed by a non-blinking yellow light below either one or two red lights on a mast or overhead signal. A dwarf signal may just be a single yellow light.

Restricted Proceed: Displayed at an automatic block signal only. Formerly known as a Stop & Proceed until last year on the former Conrail segments of Norfolk Southern. Displayed by one or two red lights on a tall mast. A train may continue, expecting a train or broken rail or other condition requiring a stop within the block.

Both signals may be displayed via Pennsy Position or Amtrak Color Position signals.