• MSTS HELP

• General discussion of computer gaming and railroad simulations. Topics include MS Train Simulator (MSTS), Auran Trainz, Railroad Tycoon, Railroad Dispatcher and more...
General discussion of computer gaming and railroad simulations. Topics include MS Train Simulator (MSTS), Auran Trainz, Railroad Tycoon, Railroad Dispatcher and more...

Moderators: LIRRMEDFORD, 8th Notch

by LIRRMEDFORD

I know this is off topic (SRRY OTTO I'M JUST DYING TO GET BEHIND A M1) but can some one tell me why my MSTS is not letting me choose the M1 to drive it's not on the list I took the file out of the zip folder and put it in the trainsets folder
  by benltrain

LIRRMEDFORD wrote:I know this is off topic (SRRY OTTO I'M JUST DYING TO GET BEHIND A M1) but can some one tell me why my MSTS is not letting me choose the M1 to drive it's not on the list I took the file out of the zip folder and put it in the trainsets folder
you probably opened it wrong. this may seem naive, but (re?)follow the readme instructions (there is one right?). even though they are obvious it always helps me.

by LIRRMEDFORD

nope no read me file. I see you browsing the forum any help Lirr186?

by benltrain

MSTS is a troubled game. Stuff like that happens all the time.

"$%@(*#$*@)!@)(# happens"
-many a person

by AmtrakPhill629

How could i get a hold of this game? it seems interesting.

by LIRRMEDFORD

your local gamestore should have it but I brought mine in the city at the staples in Union Square it was only $9.99 but i got my first copy when it first came out for $49.99

by benltrain

AmtrakPhill629 wrote:How could i get a hold of this game? it seems interesting.
it is hell to use, but a blessing nonetheless.

this will get moved to the MSTS forum :(

by Lirr168

Ok, I'll try to kill all the birds with one stone:

AmtrakPhill - try Amazon.com or your local computer store, they should have it. It will run about $20.

LIRRMEDFORD - below is the detailed instructions for installing locomotives. I warn you that the M1 is without the correct sound, as I lost all my MSTS files recently, including the new sound package I intended to post day after it happened. You can also download the MNCR Cab Cars from trainsim.com, which should provide you with most, but not all, of the M1 sounds.

Here's the quickest and easiest way to install locomotives/MU's on MSTS:

1. unzip the file to a temporary folder. the default is C:/unzipped
2. go to the temporary folder and find the folder within it that has the locomotive name (ex. LIRR RS1 461); copy this folder.
3. here's where it gets tough: go to the C:/Program Files/Microsoft Games/Train Simulator/Trains/Trainset
4. once inside the Trainset folder, paste the folder you copied from C:/unzipped. after checking the folder has appeared, close the window.
5. insert MSTS disc 2 (the orange one) into your CD-ROM drive
6. go to Start>All Programs>Microsoft Games>Train Simulator>Train Simulator Ediotrs and Tools; open it.
7. once the MSTS eitors and tools has opened (it may take a minute), go to the Activity Editor
8. once in activity editor, go to File>New. You'll seea route name come up, just click Ok. Next, it will prompt you to name the activity, also just click Ok.
9. under the section "Player" on the middle right, hit "New"
10. under the "Consist" heading, hit "New"
11. find the appropriate loco/car type (ex. diesel) from the drop down menu and scroll down the list until you locate the name of the loco you just put into the Trainset folder
12. now double-click on the loco and you will see it appear on the bottom. simply repeat step 11 to add more cars to the consist. before exiting, make sure to name your consist and save it as well.
13. finally, go into MSTS as normal and the train should appear in the same menu with all of the default ones.

by LIRRMEDFORD

It is definatley worth having and will be more fun for me when I get a hold of the LIRR route Long Island 1728 is sending me

by Long Island 7285

The route is going out soon, 168 got you the right instructions, If you want I have a M1 $ M3 fleet with costum cabview based off the real M1

by Long Island 7285

benltrain, MSTS is only a BEEP if you don'y know how to tame it. I had to un install and re install (loosing everything a few times too) before I learned it's tactics. MSTS has a personality of it's own and one you need to learn and respect.

Phil,

Ill meet up w/u one day and I have a copy ill hook you up.

by benltrain

Long Island 7285 wrote:benltrain, MSTS is only a BEEP if you don'y know how to tame it. I had to un install and re install (loosing everything a few times too) before I learned it's tactics. MSTS has a personality of it's own and one you need to learn and respect.

Phil,

Ill meet up w/u one day and I have a copy ill hook you up.
i have done the install reinstall thing, but i am not good with computer programming to start.

by Long Island 7285

You don't need to be good with it. I learned MSTS and some computer programing AFTER MSTS craped out for the first few times.
This is where MSTS is located by "default" on your system
go to ]START] >"My Computer" [click]> C:\ [click] >" Program files" [click] > "Microsoft Games" [click]> "Train Simulator" [click](this folder is the MAIN folder housing ALL things related to the functioning MSTS. Once here you can narrow you errors by seeing what they are and going to the proper folder/file and correct it)

by benltrain

Long Island 7285 wrote:You don't need to be good with it. I learned MSTS and some computer programing AFTER MSTS craped out for the first few times.
This is where MSTS is located by "default" on your system
go to ]START] >"My Computer" [click]> C:\ [click] >" Program files" [click] > "Microsoft Games" [click]> "Train Simulator" [click](this folder is the MAIN folder housing ALL things related to the functioning MSTS. Once here you can narrow you errors by seeing what they are and going to the proper folder/file and correct it)
i am not that techinichally incompetent... i sort all my downloads, but MSTS still has problems for me no matter what patches or readmes i use.

by Long Island 7285

what error codes do you get?

is it routes?

consists?

equipment?