Railroad Forums 

• Middletown & New Jersey Railroad: News, Operations, Updates

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1479274  by bk77

Someone posted a pic of the 2174 on MNJ Hist. Society's facebook page out in Ohio getting shipped a couple days ago. Expect to see it in CH in the near future.
 #1479278  by bk77

A gentleman on that FB page, who sounds like an MNJ employee and does mechanical work on the loco's, mentioned 1800 will be staying put, as well as the 773 which is "receiving upgrades" (didn't mention details about the upgrades). Also mentioned the new geeps are part of ESPN's plans to phase out the remaining GE's... which I pretty much figured.
 #1493069  by DogBert

Looks like MNJ is picking up some more trackage, leased from NS.
https://www.stb.gov/filings/all.nsf/ba7 ... 246831.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

*edit: ALSO, looks like they're getting trackage rights all the way to Port Jervis. What does this mean for the NS Interchange? Will they interchange with NYSW at port jervis? 30 miles of rights is a pretty big expansion for MNJ.
 #1493461  by SecaucusJunction

There was nothing listed about additional interchange points. I would think the additional trackage rights would help them if there are any additional businesses that come online in the future. I doubt they'll really be going west of Middletown anytime soon.
 #1493475  by bk77

One big plus with all this is I imagine MNJ will now be able to bring CSX/NYSW traffic to Middletown portion customers when they were not able to before, creating opporitunity for more business on that end. On top of that, they will be gaining the current NS customers between Middletown and Campbell Hall. I don't see the MNJ going to Port Jervis under normal circumstances.... I believe PJ is just the farthest point west of the territory they are agreeing to take over from NS. In a nutshell, this sounds like all good stuff for the M&NJ.
 #1493527  by rhallock

The practical aspect of this is that M&NJ will probably operate all its service out of Campbell Hall instead of having one engine stationed in Middletown as is done now. NS will probably never go west of CH now. I believe that M&NJ now has its engines equipped with PTC.
 #1493562  by pumpers

bk77 wrote:One big plus with all this is I imagine MNJ will now be able to bring CSX/NYSW traffic to Middletown portion customers when they were not able to before, creating opporitunity for more business on that end. ...
In the earlier linked document, which I don't have in front of me, I recall reading a sentence like "traffic not being interchanged with NS will be subject to a surcharge (presumably to be paid to NS)", IIRC. I don't remember if that applied to all MNJ traffic to/from territory that was formerly handled by NS, or just some piece of it.

So my point is there might not be CSX/NYSW interchange for Middletown, depending on the surcharge.
JS