Railroad Forums 

• Will They Ever Return?

• General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.
General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.

Moderators: mtuandrew, gprimr1

#1593165  by Gilbert B Norman

More support to that the answer is NEVER:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-pricey ... lewebshare

Fair Use:
Ridership on some U.S. commuter railroads has ticked up as the Omicron variant faded, but largely empty trains are common, according to data compiled by the American Public Transportation Association. The most recently reported weekday passenger counts at the nation’s five largest systems ranged between 25% and 55% of pre-pandemic levels, the systems said.
Yes, I know I'm "anti-LD Amtrak" around here, but that hardly extends to commuter rail and Amtrak short distance (Corridors) service.
 #1593197  by STrRedWolf

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 4:57 pm More support to that the answer is NEVER:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-pricey ... lewebshare

Fair Use:
Ridership on some U.S. commuter railroads has ticked up as the Omicron variant faded, but largely empty trains are common, according to data compiled by the American Public Transportation Association. The most recently reported weekday passenger counts at the nation’s five largest systems ranged between 25% and 55% of pre-pandemic levels, the systems said.
Yes, I know I'm "anti-LD Amtrak" around here, but that hardly extends to commuter rail and Amtrak short distance (Corridors) service.
That may get a bump up in usage due to gas prices going past $4/gal. Still... everything's up in the air.
 #1593216  by eolesen

That's possible, but.... diesel went up even higher (I saw $5.00 driving thru Missouri last weekend), and that will translate into higher operating expenses for the transit agencies.

We've had a lot of internal discussion at my company on what the levers should be to allow WFH for people who generally would be required in-office.

So far, the criteria have centered around COVID, weather and schools being closed up until now, but gas prices entered the discussion this past week....
 #1593227  by Gilbert B Norman

Interesting point you make in your immediate, Mr. Scratchy.

I wouldn't know any figures, but with Germany COVID cases at 233 per 100K population, Austria 355, no report from Ukraine; wonder why? compared with USA 12, their rail systems "have to be hurting".

With that Austria case number, the Salzburg Festival "will just have to get along without me" this August.
 #1593289  by west point

Read that LIRR and MNRR experienced large increases of riders this Monday as compared to previous Monday.
Cannot locate NY Post article.
 #1593291  by STrRedWolf

https://nypost.com/2022/03/07/booming-l ... manhattan/
After nearly two years away, commuters are streaming back into the city. The formerly desolate metropolis is roaring back to life. Trains are full and stations are crowded. Last Monday, the LIRR saw an estimated 158,200 passengers, more than triple the number of riders the Monday prior. Metro-North Railroad also saw a whopping jump, with an 148,200 riders this past Monday compared to only 63,900 from the previous one.
The Monday referenced is the Feb 2/28 numbers. 54% of LIRR pre-pandemic weekday average, 56% of Metro-North. Seeing this week's numbers will be more indicative.
 #1593292  by jwhite07

Haven't noticed what diesel prices are around here, but my wife and I both topped off our gas tanks at $4.29/gal two days ago and it's increased even since then. As far as diesel, yesterday I got a delivery of home heating oil (which I understand is pretty much the same stuff but dyed and taxed differently)... $5.33/gal. Yeah, 90 bucks to fill up two cars, and then over $850 for oil, all in the same week. Glad I can still work from home - I can't afford to go anywhere for a while.
 #1593334  by STrRedWolf

Thus the bump we'll get. I think those who went to their cars for the long haul with the pandemic will be switching back to the train to save money.
Last edited by nomis on Thu Mar 10, 2022 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Removed immediate quote
 #1593366  by eolesen

STrRedWolf wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 4:49 pm Thus the bump we'll get. I think those who went to their cars for the long haul with the pandemic will be switching back to the train to save money.
Or.... they'll revert back to staying home.

I've seen plenty of memes this week suggesting everyone stay home for two weeks to help reduce the spread of high gas prices. There's a lot of truth in that...
 #1593377  by west point

One factor a possibility. Everyone tanking up in anticipation of higher prices. Spot shortages may be the metric. Just like the next hurricane predicted to hit your home. One station here went from $4,29 to $4.19
 #1593597  by Ken W2KB

Just saw a news clip on NYC Channel 11 news showing a new Staten Island ferryboat. The reporter stated that the ferry line is at 56% of pre-covid ridership and commuter rail is at 50%.
 #1593600  by MattW

Is there a breakdown somewhere of ridership by time? Like is the morning rush at 30%, off-peak at 60% and evening rush at 80%? Those are just pulled out of my hair, but that's the kind of pattern I'm expecting.
 #1593602  by eolesen

FWIW, our local gas prices have started to recede by $0.05 - $0.10 of what they were a week ago. Some of the run-up was clearly due to people panic buying...

Let's see what another week brings before deciding that everyone will be jumping back on public transit.
 #1593609  by Gilbert B Norman

Well $62.11 got me 11.5ga of "champagne" for my buggy (that's all it drinks; like its owner, doesn't know what "beer" is) yesterday for 205 miles of driving since March 1.

Most of my trips into town are for the Symphony. If on my own, $6 (senior) on METRA is quite adequate. If accompanied, then drive, as anybody's rail not too convenient for "the other". I doubt if my auto usage will change, even if that last fill-up did cause a "gulp".